Dec 3, 2009, 9:02 PM EDT
Multiple sources told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi that the Mariners and Chone Figgins were involved in serious talks Thursday.
Morosi labels Seattle as the clear favorites to land Figgins, who is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth in excess of $10 million per season.
The Mariners presumably would keep Figgins at third base and have him replace Adrian Beltre. He could bat second behind Ichiro Suzuki, giving the team an exciting and disruptive duo at the top of the order.
The team, though, would be setting aside a hefty portion of its available funds for a bat without any punch. The Mariners had just two 20-homer guys last season, and it’s possible that neither will be back since year, since Russell Branyan is a free agent and Jose Lopez has been talked about as a trade candidate. As things stand now, the Mariners would be looking at a lineup of:
RF Ichiro Suzuki
3B Chone Figgins
1B FA signing
2B Jose Lopez
DH Ken Griffey Jr.
CF Franklin Gutierrez
LF Michael Saunders/Bill Hall
SS Jack Wilson
C Rob Johnson/Adam Moore
Even with Figgins around, the Mariners would still have to bring in a quality option at first base and upgrade at DH or in left field in order to open the season with a respectable offense.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner