Dec 3, 2009, 9:02 PM EDT
Multiple sources told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi that the Mariners and Chone Figgins were involved in serious talks Thursday.
Morosi labels Seattle as the clear favorites to land Figgins, who is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth in excess of $10 million per season.
The Mariners presumably would keep Figgins at third base and have him replace Adrian Beltre. He could bat second behind Ichiro Suzuki, giving the team an exciting and disruptive duo at the top of the order.
The team, though, would be setting aside a hefty portion of its available funds for a bat without any punch. The Mariners had just two 20-homer guys last season, and it’s possible that neither will be back since year, since Russell Branyan is a free agent and Jose Lopez has been talked about as a trade candidate. As things stand now, the Mariners would be looking at a lineup of:
RF Ichiro Suzuki
3B Chone Figgins
1B FA signing
2B Jose Lopez
DH Ken Griffey Jr.
CF Franklin Gutierrez
LF Michael Saunders/Bill Hall
SS Jack Wilson
C Rob Johnson/Adam Moore
Even with Figgins around, the Mariners would still have to bring in a quality option at first base and upgrade at DH or in left field in order to open the season with a respectable offense.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)