Dec 3, 2009, 9:02 PM EDT
Multiple sources told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi that the Mariners and Chone Figgins were involved in serious talks Thursday.
Morosi labels Seattle as the clear favorites to land Figgins, who is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth in excess of $10 million per season.
The Mariners presumably would keep Figgins at third base and have him replace Adrian Beltre. He could bat second behind Ichiro Suzuki, giving the team an exciting and disruptive duo at the top of the order.
The team, though, would be setting aside a hefty portion of its available funds for a bat without any punch. The Mariners had just two 20-homer guys last season, and it’s possible that neither will be back since year, since Russell Branyan is a free agent and Jose Lopez has been talked about as a trade candidate. As things stand now, the Mariners would be looking at a lineup of:
RF Ichiro Suzuki
3B Chone Figgins
1B FA signing
2B Jose Lopez
DH Ken Griffey Jr.
CF Franklin Gutierrez
LF Michael Saunders/Bill Hall
SS Jack Wilson
C Rob Johnson/Adam Moore
Even with Figgins around, the Mariners would still have to bring in a quality option at first base and upgrade at DH or in left field in order to open the season with a respectable offense.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)