Dec 3, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi have the Giants placing Adrian Beltre, Nick Johnson and Dan Uggla at the top of their wish list heading into the winter meetings. The idea is that they could (a) just slot Beltre in at third base; (b) sign Johnson and have him play first and have Sandoval do his damndest to hold down third base for a year or two; or (c) trade for Uggla and move Freddy Sanchez to third.
It strikes me that the Beltre option is by far the best among those inasmuch as it does less damage defensively than making the Panda play at third would, and it doesn’t cost them the “major league ready talent” the Marlins want for Uggla (
though it would cost them a draft pick).
UPDATE: No, Beltre wouldn’t cost them a pick. He’s a type-B, which makes him even more attractive in my mind. Not sure why I thought he was a type-A when I wrote this.
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 0
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 36
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76