Dec 3, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi have the Giants placing Adrian Beltre, Nick Johnson and Dan Uggla at the top of their wish list heading into the winter meetings. The idea is that they could (a) just slot Beltre in at third base; (b) sign Johnson and have him play first and have Sandoval do his damndest to hold down third base for a year or two; or (c) trade for Uggla and move Freddy Sanchez to third.
It strikes me that the Beltre option is by far the best among those inasmuch as it does less damage defensively than making the Panda play at third would, and it doesn’t cost them the “major league ready talent” the Marlins want for Uggla (
though it would cost them a draft pick).
UPDATE: No, Beltre wouldn’t cost them a pick. He’s a type-B, which makes him even more attractive in my mind. Not sure why I thought he was a type-A when I wrote this.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)