Dec 3, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi have the Giants placing Adrian Beltre, Nick Johnson and Dan Uggla at the top of their wish list heading into the winter meetings. The idea is that they could (a) just slot Beltre in at third base; (b) sign Johnson and have him play first and have Sandoval do his damndest to hold down third base for a year or two; or (c) trade for Uggla and move Freddy Sanchez to third.
It strikes me that the Beltre option is by far the best among those inasmuch as it does less damage defensively than making the Panda play at third would, and it doesn’t cost them the “major league ready talent” the Marlins want for Uggla (
though it would cost them a draft pick).
UPDATE: No, Beltre wouldn’t cost them a pick. He’s a type-B, which makes him even more attractive in my mind. Not sure why I thought he was a type-A when I wrote this.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)