Dec 3, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi have the Giants placing Adrian Beltre, Nick Johnson and Dan Uggla at the top of their wish list heading into the winter meetings. The idea is that they could (a) just slot Beltre in at third base; (b) sign Johnson and have him play first and have Sandoval do his damndest to hold down third base for a year or two; or (c) trade for Uggla and move Freddy Sanchez to third.
It strikes me that the Beltre option is by far the best among those inasmuch as it does less damage defensively than making the Panda play at third would, and it doesn’t cost them the “major league ready talent” the Marlins want for Uggla (
though it would cost them a draft pick).
UPDATE: No, Beltre wouldn’t cost them a pick. He’s a type-B, which makes him even more attractive in my mind. Not sure why I thought he was a type-A when I wrote this.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)