Dec 3, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi have the Giants placing Adrian Beltre, Nick Johnson and Dan Uggla at the top of their wish list heading into the winter meetings. The idea is that they could (a) just slot Beltre in at third base; (b) sign Johnson and have him play first and have Sandoval do his damndest to hold down third base for a year or two; or (c) trade for Uggla and move Freddy Sanchez to third.
It strikes me that the Beltre option is by far the best among those inasmuch as it does less damage defensively than making the Panda play at third would, and it doesn’t cost them the “major league ready talent” the Marlins want for Uggla (
though it would cost them a draft pick).
UPDATE: No, Beltre wouldn’t cost them a pick. He’s a type-B, which makes him even more attractive in my mind. Not sure why I thought he was a type-A when I wrote this.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)