The Yankees' Roy Halladay math

Dec 3, 2009, 12:30 PM EDT

Buster Olney’s advice to Brian Cashman: ask your coaches and talent evaluators whether Joba and Phil will be big starters or shutdown relievers one day, then:

And if the smart people that Cashman trusts believe that Hughes and/or Chamberlain will be anything other than (A) dominant closers, or (B) No. 2-type AL East starters, well, then I’d call Toronto immediately and be ready to talk about trading one or perhaps even both of the young pitchers.

That’s fine as far as it goes, but the real deal breaker is probably not Joba and/or Hughes — them vs. Halladay is a classic bird in the hand decision — but whether or not to include someone like catching prospect Jesus Montero, who the Blue Jays will be asking for if they have any brains.

I understand the impulse to want to make this such a cut-and-dried decision on the Yankees’ part, but these kinds of deals are gambles, even for New York.

1. YankeesfanLen - Dec 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM

There are always psychological barriers that the Universe faces and then gives in- the biggest being if a pitcher beats us we have to get him. My opinion only, but Joba can be shown the door but not Hughes- I honestly think more has been invested in him and he can soon start for many years.
    Then, just to be my typical Yankeesfan self, if Montero has to be in the mix, so be it, we’ll get Mauer for 2011.

2. Drew - Dec 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Montero is nobody’s catcher. He’ll be squatting around first base for a little while and then full time DHing. Gotta love that bat though.

3. JBerardi - Dec 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Shorter Buster Olney: Cashman should take the radical step of asking his talent evaluators to evaluate talents. It’s crazy but it just might work!

4. catcher and the rye - Dec 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Drew, I never heard your name attached to being a scout in the Majors, how many players have you recommended to teams that
    currently have a player you recommended or evaluated, I’m guessing
    zero,zilch,ZIPPO.I have a idea, maybe Cash will listen to stick, he is the one that held off on trading the “core four” when Steinbrenner was out of baseball and he also fought hard in keeping BIG GAME ANDY WHEN HE WAS ALWAY’S MENTIONED IN A TRADE.
    Drew is the only scout who has said Montero is nobody’s catcher.

5. catcher and the rye - Dec 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM

currently have a player you recommended or evaluated, I’m guessing
    Drew is the only scout who has said Montero is nobody’s catcher.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3713)