Dec 4, 2009, 4:25 PM EDT
After attending my first winter meetings three years ago I concluded that there seemed to be an inverse relationship between how important a person is and how well they dress for the event.
For instance, Peter Gammons looked perfectly at home holding court in the hotel lobby while wearing an old t-shirt, gym shorts, and a pair of running shoes, whereas the venue was littered with college-aged guys who put on suits, slicked back their hair, and walked around clutching resumes in search of an MLB job.
I bring all this up because MLB.com’s Thomas Harding reports that Jacque Jones will be attending next week’s winter meetings in Indianapolis in search of a team willing to give him a comeback chance and … well, my suggestion is that he buy a new suit and maybe some new shoes too. Harding writes that “Jones believes he can still play,” but at this point he’s likely alone.
He’ll be 35 years old soon, was last seen hitting .147 in 2008, and spent last season with the independent league Newark Bears after getting released by the Reds in spring training. At his best Jones was a good defensive outfielder who was helpless against left-handed pitching and posted an OPS in the .750-.800 range with poor on-base skills and solid slugging. However, at 35 years old and with his last decent season in 2006 he’ll be lucky to secure a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)