Dec 4, 2009, 4:25 PM EDT
After attending my first winter meetings three years ago I concluded that there seemed to be an inverse relationship between how important a person is and how well they dress for the event.
For instance, Peter Gammons looked perfectly at home holding court in the hotel lobby while wearing an old t-shirt, gym shorts, and a pair of running shoes, whereas the venue was littered with college-aged guys who put on suits, slicked back their hair, and walked around clutching resumes in search of an MLB job.
I bring all this up because MLB.com’s Thomas Harding reports that Jacque Jones will be attending next week’s winter meetings in Indianapolis in search of a team willing to give him a comeback chance and … well, my suggestion is that he buy a new suit and maybe some new shoes too. Harding writes that “Jones believes he can still play,” but at this point he’s likely alone.
He’ll be 35 years old soon, was last seen hitting .147 in 2008, and spent last season with the independent league Newark Bears after getting released by the Reds in spring training. At his best Jones was a good defensive outfielder who was helpless against left-handed pitching and posted an OPS in the .750-.800 range with poor on-base skills and solid slugging. However, at 35 years old and with his last decent season in 2006 he’ll be lucky to secure a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)