Dec 4, 2009, 6:17 PM EDT
Tony La Russa is saying that Mark McGwire is going to make himself available to the media sometime soon. Likely not at next week’s Winter Meetings — really, why would Mac want to come to Indianapolis in December? — but probably before Christmas.
I still don’t know what the big deal about all of this is. We know the guy did PEDs, some legal at the time, maybe some that weren’t so legal. We know he tried to walk the perjury/Fifth Amendment/bad P.R. tightrope in front of Congress. I suppose it’s possible that he’ll have an Iverson-esque teary breakdown in front of reporters about it all now, but it’s not likely. Even if he comes clean and admits to taking everything under the sun, the story is less about the fact — which everyone assumes — it’s about the admission, which just seems kind of superfluous to me. We’re not idiots, are we?
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)