Dec 4, 2009, 6:17 PM EDT
Tony La Russa is saying that Mark McGwire is going to make himself available to the media sometime soon. Likely not at next week’s Winter Meetings — really, why would Mac want to come to Indianapolis in December? — but probably before Christmas.
I still don’t know what the big deal about all of this is. We know the guy did PEDs, some legal at the time, maybe some that weren’t so legal. We know he tried to walk the perjury/Fifth Amendment/bad P.R. tightrope in front of Congress. I suppose it’s possible that he’ll have an Iverson-esque teary breakdown in front of reporters about it all now, but it’s not likely. Even if he comes clean and admits to taking everything under the sun, the story is less about the fact — which everyone assumes — it’s about the admission, which just seems kind of superfluous to me. We’re not idiots, are we?
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)