Dec 4, 2009, 1:02 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado hasn’t started playing for Gigantes de Carolina of the Puerto Rican Winter League. The Orioles still intend to scout him later this month unless they find another first baseman.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens if there’s a multi-team bidding war for Delgado, because it seems unlikely that any of his suitors will go beyond a one-year contract for a 37-year-old who missed all but 26 games last season and is coming off hip surgery. However, it’s looking more and more like Delgado won’t have to settle for an incentive-driven deal and may be able to secure more than $5 million in guarantees after making $12 million last season.
He hit .271/.353/.518 with 38 homers in 2008 and batted .298/.393/.521 before being shut down in mid-May this season, so if healthy Delgado still looks capable of making a big impact. By comparison, Orioles first basemen (mostly Aubrey Huff, Ty Wigginton, and Michael Aubrey) combined to hit just .262/.318/.411 with 18 homers this season, ranking 12th in the 14-team American League with a .729 OPS.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)