Dec 4, 2009, 7:02 PM EST
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the A’s offered Marco Scutaro a better deal than the Red Sox did before the veteran opted to sign with Boston.
Scutaro was guaranteed $12.5 million as part a two-year deal with a mutual option for 2012 with the Red Sox. The A’s guaranteed the full three years, but Scutaro preferred the chance to win a World Series with the Red Sox.
The news came as something of a surprise, given Billy Beane’s statements last month that suggested the A’s would largely remove themselves from the free agent market. Scutaro could have played either third or shortstop for the A’s, depending on how Eric Chavez looked in spring training. The A’s have expressed confidence in Cliff Pennington’s ability to start at short, but it’s still possible that he’ll end up as a long-term utilityman for the club.
Scutaro is, of course, familiar with Oakland. The club gave him his big break in 2004, and he hit .262/.321/.387 in four seasons with the A’s. With his salary on the rise, he was traded to Toronto for pitching prospect Graham Godfrey and Kristian Bell two years ago.
With Scutaro out of the picture, one wonders if the A’s will now look to bring back another one of their former infielders. Miguel Tejada remains a free agent, and unlike Scutaro, he wouldn’t cost the team a draft pick.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 9
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 60
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)