Dec 4, 2009, 7:02 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the A’s offered Marco Scutaro a better deal than the Red Sox did before the veteran opted to sign with Boston.
Scutaro was guaranteed $12.5 million as part a two-year deal with a mutual option for 2012 with the Red Sox. The A’s guaranteed the full three years, but Scutaro preferred the chance to win a World Series with the Red Sox.
The news came as something of a surprise, given Billy Beane’s statements last month that suggested the A’s would largely remove themselves from the free agent market. Scutaro could have played either third or shortstop for the A’s, depending on how Eric Chavez looked in spring training. The A’s have expressed confidence in Cliff Pennington’s ability to start at short, but it’s still possible that he’ll end up as a long-term utilityman for the club.
Scutaro is, of course, familiar with Oakland. The club gave him his big break in 2004, and he hit .262/.321/.387 in four seasons with the A’s. With his salary on the rise, he was traded to Toronto for pitching prospect Graham Godfrey and Kristian Bell two years ago.
With Scutaro out of the picture, one wonders if the A’s will now look to bring back another one of their former infielders. Miguel Tejada remains a free agent, and unlike Scutaro, he wouldn’t cost the team a draft pick.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 0
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (176)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)