Dec 4, 2009, 2:47 PM EDT
The infield dominoes are suddenly falling fast and furious, with FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reporting that Chone Figgins and the Mariners are on the verge of agreeing to a four-year, $36 million deal.
Figgins ranks as one of the most valuable free agents available this offseason and is coming off a tremendously strong year, hitting .298/.395/.393 with 101 walks, 42 steals, and 114 runs to go along with outstanding defense at third base.
For the Mariners to pluck him away from a division rival for just a four-year commitment at less than $10 million per season would qualify as an excellent deal given the money that’s already been handed out to lesser infielders Placido Polanco and Marco Scutaro, although Figgins would cost Seattle next year’s first-round pick.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)