Dec 4, 2009, 5:25 PM EDT
Now that their bullpen is sorted, the Braves have three things to sort out before spring training: leveraging their pitching surplus via a trade of a starter; filling their hole at first base; and adding an outfielder. MLB.com’s Mark Bowman — after first telling what have to rank as some of the lamest Tiger Woods jokes I’ve yet seen — gets to it:
- Frank Wren still thinks he can move Derek Lowe. I’m not convinced that Lowe doesn’t yet have a bounceback year or two left in him. If someone else agrees, great, a trade is made. If not, there are worse things than going into next season with Lowe in the rotation. If Boston showed us anything last season they showed us that there is no such thing as too much starting pitching;
- Marlon Byrd’s agent, Seth Levinson, is saying that the Braves have “strong interest” in Byrd. Maybe. But there are a lot of options for the Braves here: Josh Willingham, Mike Cameron, Jermaine Dye, Xavier Nady, Rick Ankiel, etc. Basically they need someone who can play right field at the beginning of the season and who can move to left once Jason Heyward has passed whatever the Braves imagine to be the Super Two barrier.
- “Some of the Braves players are lobbying for the club to bring Mark DeRosa back.” That’s cute. Why doesn’t he just say “Chipper Jones is lobbying to bring Mark DeRosa back?” Chipper is literally the only Brave who was on the team when DeRosa was last there in 2004.
Still no word on what they’re going to do about first base. Bring back LaRoche? Hank Blalock? Cheap wild card move: see if Matt Diaz can play there, call up Heyward now and start with an outfield of Heyward, McLouth and Free Agent X.
Of course, I’m irrational when it comes to the Braves. I just want to see Heyward, like, yesterday, so I’d be for just about anything that makes that happen.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 11
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 3
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 37
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)