Dec 4, 2009, 5:25 PM EDT
Now that their bullpen is sorted, the Braves have three things to sort out before spring training: leveraging their pitching surplus via a trade of a starter; filling their hole at first base; and adding an outfielder. MLB.com’s Mark Bowman — after first telling what have to rank as some of the lamest Tiger Woods jokes I’ve yet seen — gets to it:
- Frank Wren still thinks he can move Derek Lowe. I’m not convinced that Lowe doesn’t yet have a bounceback year or two left in him. If someone else agrees, great, a trade is made. If not, there are worse things than going into next season with Lowe in the rotation. If Boston showed us anything last season they showed us that there is no such thing as too much starting pitching;
- Marlon Byrd’s agent, Seth Levinson, is saying that the Braves have “strong interest” in Byrd. Maybe. But there are a lot of options for the Braves here: Josh Willingham, Mike Cameron, Jermaine Dye, Xavier Nady, Rick Ankiel, etc. Basically they need someone who can play right field at the beginning of the season and who can move to left once Jason Heyward has passed whatever the Braves imagine to be the Super Two barrier.
- “Some of the Braves players are lobbying for the club to bring Mark DeRosa back.” That’s cute. Why doesn’t he just say “Chipper Jones is lobbying to bring Mark DeRosa back?” Chipper is literally the only Brave who was on the team when DeRosa was last there in 2004.
Still no word on what they’re going to do about first base. Bring back LaRoche? Hank Blalock? Cheap wild card move: see if Matt Diaz can play there, call up Heyward now and start with an outfield of Heyward, McLouth and Free Agent X.
Of course, I’m irrational when it comes to the Braves. I just want to see Heyward, like, yesterday, so I’d be for just about anything that makes that happen.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 20
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)