Dec 4, 2009, 2:29 PM EDT
Gregg Zaun is expected to sign very soon — maybe today — and MLB.com’s Brew Beat blog is saying that it will be with Milwaukee, based on the team and Zaun talking about him coming to Milwaukee for a physical. Zaun’s a type B who was offered arbitration, by the way, so if he signs before Monday’s accept-or-decline deadline, the Rays will get a compensation pick.
Zaun probably stands to get more playing time in Milwaukee than any of the other places he’s been rumored to be looking at. While the future is in Jonathan Lucroy, the Brewers really don’t have a catcher right now who can shave and vote and stuff.
Tim Brown at Yahoo! is reporting that the deal is one year at $2.15 million. In Zaun dollars, that’s roughly 239,000 copies of “2112.”
UPDATE: Buster Olney is saying that the deal is $1.9 million for 2010 and a $2.25 million option for 2011, with a $250,000 buyout. So the guarantee is $2.15 million, not that much for just 2010. Which means that he may have to space out his Rush purchases.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)