Dec 4, 2009, 2:29 PM EST
Gregg Zaun is expected to sign very soon — maybe today — and MLB.com’s Brew Beat blog is saying that it will be with Milwaukee, based on the team and Zaun talking about him coming to Milwaukee for a physical. Zaun’s a type B who was offered arbitration, by the way, so if he signs before Monday’s accept-or-decline deadline, the Rays will get a compensation pick.
Zaun probably stands to get more playing time in Milwaukee than any of the other places he’s been rumored to be looking at. While the future is in Jonathan Lucroy, the Brewers really don’t have a catcher right now who can shave and vote and stuff.
Tim Brown at Yahoo! is reporting that the deal is one year at $2.15 million. In Zaun dollars, that’s roughly 239,000 copies of “2112.”
UPDATE: Buster Olney is saying that the deal is $1.9 million for 2010 and a $2.25 million option for 2011, with a $250,000 buyout. So the guarantee is $2.15 million, not that much for just 2010. Which means that he may have to space out his Rush purchases.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)