Dec 4, 2009, 2:29 PM EDT
Gregg Zaun is expected to sign very soon — maybe today — and MLB.com’s Brew Beat blog is saying that it will be with Milwaukee, based on the team and Zaun talking about him coming to Milwaukee for a physical. Zaun’s a type B who was offered arbitration, by the way, so if he signs before Monday’s accept-or-decline deadline, the Rays will get a compensation pick.
Zaun probably stands to get more playing time in Milwaukee than any of the other places he’s been rumored to be looking at. While the future is in Jonathan Lucroy, the Brewers really don’t have a catcher right now who can shave and vote and stuff.
Tim Brown at Yahoo! is reporting that the deal is one year at $2.15 million. In Zaun dollars, that’s roughly 239,000 copies of “2112.”
UPDATE: Buster Olney is saying that the deal is $1.9 million for 2010 and a $2.25 million option for 2011, with a $250,000 buyout. So the guarantee is $2.15 million, not that much for just 2010. Which means that he may have to space out his Rush purchases.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)