Dec 4, 2009, 2:29 PM EDT
Gregg Zaun is expected to sign very soon — maybe today — and MLB.com’s Brew Beat blog is saying that it will be with Milwaukee, based on the team and Zaun talking about him coming to Milwaukee for a physical. Zaun’s a type B who was offered arbitration, by the way, so if he signs before Monday’s accept-or-decline deadline, the Rays will get a compensation pick.
Zaun probably stands to get more playing time in Milwaukee than any of the other places he’s been rumored to be looking at. While the future is in Jonathan Lucroy, the Brewers really don’t have a catcher right now who can shave and vote and stuff.
Tim Brown at Yahoo! is reporting that the deal is one year at $2.15 million. In Zaun dollars, that’s roughly 239,000 copies of “2112.”
UPDATE: Buster Olney is saying that the deal is $1.9 million for 2010 and a $2.25 million option for 2011, with a $250,000 buyout. So the guarantee is $2.15 million, not that much for just 2010. Which means that he may have to space out his Rush purchases.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead