Dec 4, 2009, 2:17 PM EDT
The Washington Nationals are talking to John Smoltz, and both sides seem interested in doing a deal. The only holdup is that Smoltz would rather play for a contender, but I think we’ve passed the point in Smoltz’s career where he has a ton of choices in the matter.
You have to think that a team like the Nats — looking for credibility and looking for someone to play Crash Davis to Stephen Strasburg’s Nuke LaLoosh — would offer Smoltz (a) more money; and (b) a better chance to start than to come out of the pen. Smoltz likes both of those things, and given that he has already spent more time in the playoffs than anyone this side of red white and blue bunting, you think he might take the lower pressure gig.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (129)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)