Dec 4, 2009, 11:00 AM EST
An X-Man sequel?
The Pirates have made initial inquiries on free-agent outfielder
Xavier Nady, as well as reliever Ron Villone and shortstop Bobby
Crosby, though none of those inquiries is known to have moved past that
stage. In the cases of Nady and Villone, management likely will wait
until closer to spring training in search of the best value.
I love it: three useful guys — Ankiel, Blalock and Nady — fighting for two positions with the Pittsburgh Pirates of all teams, none of whom are likely to get more than a one-year make-good deal. As if you needed any more confirmation of yesterday’s thing about the middle class being squeezed.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 23
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)