Dec 4, 2009, 4:00 PM EST
Rosenthal (or is it Tracy Ringolsnby? Is he crashing Robo’s space?) is reporting that Colorado is showing interest in second baseman Orlando Hudson. The idea would be to move Clint Barmes into a super utility role, for which he is better suited (hmmm, where did I hear that before?). This runs counter to that rumor a couple of weeks ago that Colorado was going to try and buy out Barmes arbitration years. You don’t do that for super utes.
Barmes has a great glove, but he can’t get on base to save his life (.294 OBP this year; .299 career). The doesn’t cut it. Not sure that going with Hudson over Eric Young, Jr. is the value move, but it ain’t my money. If it’s a one year + option deal that might make a lot of sense, seeing as Young might need a bit more time.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)