Dec 4, 2009, 9:58 AM EST
Rosenthal and Morosi report that the Royals are open to trading Gil Meche and David DeJesus, likely waiting until most of the free agents sign, making their market out of the teams who don’t have a chair when the music stops on the Randy Wolfs and Marlon Byrds of the world.
Meche’s season ended early due to some shoulder inflammation. He was 6-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 23
starts after posting a 3.82 ERA through his first two years on his $12m/year deal, which still has two years left on it. DeJesus is useful enough, but way more so if he can play center instead of left, where he transitioned to more or less full time last year.
If I’m the Royals I hold on to Meche for a bit to see if he can rebound from an off year. If so, you have a really useful pitcher to slot in behind Greinke and/or a much more valuable trade chit come June or July.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (220)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)