Dec 4, 2009, 9:58 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi report that the Royals are open to trading Gil Meche and David DeJesus, likely waiting until most of the free agents sign, making their market out of the teams who don’t have a chair when the music stops on the Randy Wolfs and Marlon Byrds of the world.
Meche’s season ended early due to some shoulder inflammation. He was 6-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 23
starts after posting a 3.82 ERA through his first two years on his $12m/year deal, which still has two years left on it. DeJesus is useful enough, but way more so if he can play center instead of left, where he transitioned to more or less full time last year.
If I’m the Royals I hold on to Meche for a bit to see if he can rebound from an off year. If so, you have a really useful pitcher to slot in behind Greinke and/or a much more valuable trade chit come June or July.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)