Dec 4, 2009, 9:58 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi report that the Royals are open to trading Gil Meche and David DeJesus, likely waiting until most of the free agents sign, making their market out of the teams who don’t have a chair when the music stops on the Randy Wolfs and Marlon Byrds of the world.
Meche’s season ended early due to some shoulder inflammation. He was 6-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 23
starts after posting a 3.82 ERA through his first two years on his $12m/year deal, which still has two years left on it. DeJesus is useful enough, but way more so if he can play center instead of left, where he transitioned to more or less full time last year.
If I’m the Royals I hold on to Meche for a bit to see if he can rebound from an off year. If so, you have a really useful pitcher to slot in behind Greinke and/or a much more valuable trade chit come June or July.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (87)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (82)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)