Dec 4, 2009, 9:58 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi report that the Royals are open to trading Gil Meche and David DeJesus, likely waiting until most of the free agents sign, making their market out of the teams who don’t have a chair when the music stops on the Randy Wolfs and Marlon Byrds of the world.
Meche’s season ended early due to some shoulder inflammation. He was 6-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 23
starts after posting a 3.82 ERA through his first two years on his $12m/year deal, which still has two years left on it. DeJesus is useful enough, but way more so if he can play center instead of left, where he transitioned to more or less full time last year.
If I’m the Royals I hold on to Meche for a bit to see if he can rebound from an off year. If so, you have a really useful pitcher to slot in behind Greinke and/or a much more valuable trade chit come June or July.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)