Dec 5, 2009, 9:02 AM EST
At first blush, this sort of thing may make Red Sox fans smile:
San Diego Padres GM Jed Hoyer, who served as Red Sox Assistant GM
through the 2009 season, suggested in a conference call that the Padres
would have a “level of comfort” in any potential trade with the Red Sox.
Hoyer suggested that contemplating the likelihood of a trade of
Adrian Gonzalez to the Sox would be “just speculation.” That said, with
both Hoyer and new Assistant GM Jason McLeod (former the Red Sox
amateur scouting director) in San Diego, the Padres suggest that they
would have greater confidence in evaluating any players whom they might
acquire from Boston in a deal that they would with another club.
But it’s exactly that level of comfort which would likely keep the Red Sox from wanting to trade with Hoyer. They can snow almost any other team on the value of their prospects. Hoyer will call them out on their baloney and hone in on the real gems of the system.
This doesn’t mean that an Adrian Gonzalez trade won’t happen one day. It means that, if it does, it will hurt in terms of Red Sox prospects.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)