Dec 5, 2009, 9:02 AM EST
At first blush, this sort of thing may make Red Sox fans smile:
San Diego Padres GM Jed Hoyer, who served as Red Sox Assistant GM
through the 2009 season, suggested in a conference call that the Padres
would have a “level of comfort” in any potential trade with the Red Sox.
Hoyer suggested that contemplating the likelihood of a trade of
Adrian Gonzalez to the Sox would be “just speculation.” That said, with
both Hoyer and new Assistant GM Jason McLeod (former the Red Sox
amateur scouting director) in San Diego, the Padres suggest that they
would have greater confidence in evaluating any players whom they might
acquire from Boston in a deal that they would with another club.
But it’s exactly that level of comfort which would likely keep the Red Sox from wanting to trade with Hoyer. They can snow almost any other team on the value of their prospects. Hoyer will call them out on their baloney and hone in on the real gems of the system.
This doesn’t mean that an Adrian Gonzalez trade won’t happen one day. It means that, if it does, it will hurt in terms of Red Sox prospects.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)