Dec 5, 2009, 9:02 AM EDT
At first blush, this sort of thing may make Red Sox fans smile:
San Diego Padres GM Jed Hoyer, who served as Red Sox Assistant GM
through the 2009 season, suggested in a conference call that the Padres
would have a “level of comfort” in any potential trade with the Red Sox.
Hoyer suggested that contemplating the likelihood of a trade of
Adrian Gonzalez to the Sox would be “just speculation.” That said, with
both Hoyer and new Assistant GM Jason McLeod (former the Red Sox
amateur scouting director) in San Diego, the Padres suggest that they
would have greater confidence in evaluating any players whom they might
acquire from Boston in a deal that they would with another club.
But it’s exactly that level of comfort which would likely keep the Red Sox from wanting to trade with Hoyer. They can snow almost any other team on the value of their prospects. Hoyer will call them out on their baloney and hone in on the real gems of the system.
This doesn’t mean that an Adrian Gonzalez trade won’t happen one day. It means that, if it does, it will hurt in terms of Red Sox prospects.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 21
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 6
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games