No Jumbotron for Wrigley Field

Dec 5, 2009, 2:57 PM EDT

I tend not to think of the dark and horrible things in this world, so I had never considered that the Cubs might one day add a Jumbotron to Wrigley Field.  Good thing that the first I’ve ever heard about it is when the idea is rejected:

Plans for a Jumbotron at Wrigley Field aren’t in the team’s
immediate future, though the Cubs are looking at bringing instant
replay to fans with smartphones . . . The Cubs, of course, remain the last major professional sports team
without an electronic scoreboard with replay capacity, which is one of
the charms of going to Wrigley Field. But with all the lost revenues
from not having a Jumbotron, some wonder how much longer the team can
hold out from installing 20th Century technology, especially in an
economic downturn.

If the Cubs can survive 100 years of losing, 70 years of day baseball when everyone has gone to night, and a couple decades without state-of-the-art luxury boxes, they can certainly survive without dot races and giant electronic letters informing the fans that, yes, it is time to make NOISE.

1. sirsean - Dec 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I absolutely LOVE the idea of streaming video replays and other stuff to smartphones during the games. I live in Chicago, and if the Cubs start doing that I might have to actually go to more than 1 of their games every couple years.

2. N - Dec 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM

This has been a strange pet idea by Sullivan and some of the other beat guys for a while now – that the team is losing great amounts of cash by not having a jumbo screen, and that they could easily pay someone to put it on their rooftop (which would more likely drive the people in the neighborhood insane.)
    I don’t know why every ballpark doesn’t have some sort of wireless solution. Monatize it however, it’s still a lot better than watching scores get posted 10 minutes after they happen. The only losers would be phone companies, losing all that data traffic.

3. smokehouse - Dec 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Ah Craig, 21st century technology. This is 2009, not 1909.

4. jason - Dec 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Smoke… it was the quote that said 20th century, not Craig. Also, the jumbotron was not invented in the last nine years, thus I believe 20th century would be accurate.
    If we’re going to grammar-police… be correct.

5. Jack Meoffer - Dec 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM

While Wrigley Field may look nice on television, all I have ever heard about it from people who have gone to games it that it is horrible to watch one. The seats are small, pointed to the outfield (not 2ne base or homeplate), and “rustic” is not the word I have heard. I heard it’s a dump.
    We here in New York finally got rid of Shea Stadium. Which had to be the worst stadium built of all time. The last time I went to a game I had a back ache from having to watch the game at a 90 degree angle just to see home plate.
    So Chicago, and Wrigley, just because you have funny looking outfield walls, and no electronic score boards, it does not make you nostalgic, it makes you dumb. Upgrade already.

6. Lee - Dec 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Mr Meoffer knows not of what he speaks….the seats in the lower boxes point toward the infield and in the upper deck that feature is not needed because most of the patrons have eyes to watch the game and see the whole expanse of the field….what’s wrong with the walls Mr. Meoffer…..the vines look better than the stark walls of Citifield….sure, some of the amenities at Wrigley are not the greatest and some of the sight-lines in the lower deck are obstructed by the upper deck and the suites, but on the whole Wrigley is not a bad place to watch a game and it has something that Citifield does not…….history and tradition..

7. smokehouse - Dec 6, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Jason, I do not agree with your thinking. The large flat screen TV’s everyone wants are 21st century technology even though TV was 20th century technology, developed around the late 1930′s for the NY Worlds Fair. The Jumbotron certainly is 21st century technology, being developed only recently, within the last several years. And if Craig uses incorrect information in his column, no matter where the quote comes from, he has to be called on it. He should have alluded to the obvious.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4003)