Dec 5, 2009, 11:03 PM EDT
The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton tweets that the Royals are close to an agreement with Cuban defector Noel Arguelles on a major league contract worth $7 million over five years.
We rated Arguelles as the No. 50 free agent in this year’s crop:
With fellow Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman getting all of the attention, Arguelles could fly under the radar and prove to be a bargain. The southpaw reportedly throws in the low-90s consistently, and while he’s going to need at least one year and probably two in the minors, he’s probably more polished than Chapman.
Odds are that Arguelles will begin his career in the low minors and fail to reach the majors before 2011, but he has the chance to be an impact starter down the line. The Royals are taking a big risk in handing him $7 million, but it seems like a better idea than spending that cash on a couple of veteran stopgaps for 2010.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)