Dec 5, 2009, 12:30 PM EDT
Losing Chone Figgins to the Mariners opens a hole at third base for the Angels. One that some people have speculated will need to be filled with Adrian Beltre or someone like him. It seems, however, that the Angels are more likely to finally give Triple A slugger Brandon Wood a chance to start and stick.
At one point Wood was considered one of the top five prospects in all of baseball. He had a smattering of at bats in 2007, 2008, and 2009, but he’s seen much more of Salt Lake City than he has California. He hasn’t been consistent in his multiple cups of coffee, but the guy has simply raked down on the farm. He has power. He has nothing left to prove in the minors. It’s a play him now or lose him forever situation.
If the Angels do that, there’s an outside chance they’d get a Kendry Morales-style breakout season. More plausible is simply good power for low money. If he doesn’t work out? Fine, go with some plan B, but I think that kind of risk is preferable to paying someone $9 or $10 million to fill the hole that Figgins leaves behind.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?