Dec 5, 2009, 12:30 PM EST
Losing Chone Figgins to the Mariners opens a hole at third base for the Angels. One that some people have speculated will need to be filled with Adrian Beltre or someone like him. It seems, however, that the Angels are more likely to finally give Triple A slugger Brandon Wood a chance to start and stick.
At one point Wood was considered one of the top five prospects in all of baseball. He had a smattering of at bats in 2007, 2008, and 2009, but he’s seen much more of Salt Lake City than he has California. He hasn’t been consistent in his multiple cups of coffee, but the guy has simply raked down on the farm. He has power. He has nothing left to prove in the minors. It’s a play him now or lose him forever situation.
If the Angels do that, there’s an outside chance they’d get a Kendry Morales-style breakout season. More plausible is simply good power for low money. If he doesn’t work out? Fine, go with some plan B, but I think that kind of risk is preferable to paying someone $9 or $10 million to fill the hole that Figgins leaves behind.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)