Is next season the end for Sweet Lou?

Dec 6, 2009, 10:19 AM EDT

Lou Piniella has led the Cubs to an oustanding 265-219 record (.584) and two NL Central titles over three
seasons as skipper. That said, they don’t have anything to show for
their regular season success, having been swept in the division series
by the Diamondbacks in 2007 and then by the Dodgers in 2008. After a disappointing 83-78 showing in 2009, the 66-year-old Piniella
enters the 2010 season with an uncertain future.

”Let’s just
wait and see,” Piniella said during a 1990 Reds team reunion in
Cincinnati on his way to the winter meetings this week in Indianapolis.
”Look, I wouldn’t manage this year if I didn’t have the
competitiveness and the desire to win. I look forward to this team
bouncing back from last year and playing really, really well and giving
ourselves a chance in postseason again.”

Piniella’s
$4 million club option for 2010 was exercised way back during the 2008
season, but according to a team source, the Cubs have not talked about
his status for 2011 and beyond. With the ownership situation resolved,
you’d have to think the Ricketts family will be smart enough to keep Piniella around.

1. Mike - Dec 6, 2009 at 11:30 AM

484-265 is 4.6 seasons worth of games, not three.

2. Kevin - Dec 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I calculate 3 seasons worth…

3. D.J. Short - Dec 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

My apologies. This is what happens when I get up early on a Sunday.

4. AJ Gallo - Dec 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Sorry, but if 2010 is Pinella’s last season as a manager, it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. Pinella’s a pompous, arrogant ass. Just ask Rob Dibble.

5. Sage - Dec 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

The Cubs still suck…Lou should get out while he can, they’ll go nowhere again this season

6. Domingo J. Fernandez - Dec 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I bet that Pinella will retire at the end of 2010. It is only common sense. Lou has 30 years of experience as a ballplayer and a Major League manager. In life everything has a beginning and and end. Lou knows that time flies and and with his pockets full of money, he and his family will live a comfortable life.I were Lou I would do the same thing.

7. Old Gator - Dec 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM

When Piniella leaves, he should be sent in a sealed container to the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta to be screened for the prion-borne neurological disease known originally to the Dutch colonists of Indonesia as De vloek van de Geitebok before he is released to the public again. This is a vicious cycle of disease that the Cubs have been vectoring for over a century now and it’s time that we put our feet down and broke the cycle once and for all.

8. GOAT MAN - Dec 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM

THEY SHOULD LET THE GOAT COACH THE CUBS.
    BUH BYE

9. Lavon Bolten - Jan 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM

It appears that you have placed a lot of effort into your article and I require more of these on the net these days. I sincerely got a kick out of your post. I don’t really have much to say in response, I only wanted to comment to reply wonderful work.

10. Music downloads - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.

11. Mothercare - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

12. MLB news - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3202)