Dec 6, 2009, 10:45 AM EDT
Giants general manager Brian Sabean was second-guessed by some for
trading 2007 first-round pick Tim Alderson to the Pirates for second
baseman Freddy Sanchez in July. Is there any chance they’d deal their
other 2007 first-round pick to upgrade their offense? Probably not.
According to the San Jose Mercury News, the Marlins have asked for
prospect pitcher Madison Bumgarner in return for slugger Dan Uggla. Sabean, however, said
he won’t give up any “prime assets” for a player close to free agency.
Bumgarner is 27-5 with a 1.65 ERA and an 0.97 WHIP in 49 games (48
starts) over his first two professional seasons. He was recently named the Giants No. 2
prospect by Baseball America. The 20-year-old southpaw made his major
league debut with the Giants in 2009, posting a 1.80 ERA in four
appearances (one start). There’s a chance he could be San
Francisco’s No. 5 starter in 2010, but he is expected to begin the season
with Triple-A Fresno.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47