Dec 6, 2009, 10:45 AM EDT
Giants general manager Brian Sabean was second-guessed by some for
trading 2007 first-round pick Tim Alderson to the Pirates for second
baseman Freddy Sanchez in July. Is there any chance they’d deal their
other 2007 first-round pick to upgrade their offense? Probably not.
According to the San Jose Mercury News, the Marlins have asked for
prospect pitcher Madison Bumgarner in return for slugger Dan Uggla. Sabean, however, said
he won’t give up any “prime assets” for a player close to free agency.
Bumgarner is 27-5 with a 1.65 ERA and an 0.97 WHIP in 49 games (48
starts) over his first two professional seasons. He was recently named the Giants No. 2
prospect by Baseball America. The 20-year-old southpaw made his major
league debut with the Giants in 2009, posting a 1.80 ERA in four
appearances (one start). There’s a chance he could be San
Francisco’s No. 5 starter in 2010, but he is expected to begin the season
with Triple-A Fresno.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12