Report: Mets like Willingham for left field

Dec 6, 2009, 1:44 PM EDT

Josh Willingham headshot alt.jpgThe Mets are expected to bid on free
agent big fish like Matt Holliday and Jason Bay to play left field, but
according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, they have joined the Giants,
Mariners and Braves
among teams interested in Nationals outfielder Josh Willingham.

Willingham, 30, batted
.260/.367/.496 with 24 home runs, 61 RBI and a career-high .863 OPS in
2009.
While he possesses the thump the Mets covet, he ranks well below average on defense, according to UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating). The Nats resisted parting with him before the trade deadline, but
under team control for two more seasons, he represents one of
the team’s best potential trade chips.

The Nationals would almost certainly
want pitching in return, meaning that major-league ready pitchers like
Jon Niese and Bobby Parnell would have to be discussed. Perhaps the best part of it all for
general manager Omar Minaya, Willingham is a former catcher. Zing.

In other Mets news, the team is reportedly interested in Rod Barajas, while Jon Heyman of SI.com thinks Bengie Molina may want a three-year contract.

Update: Jon Heyman of SI.com now believes the Mets may be waiting out Molina, as they have more money to work with than the Rangers and Royals.

1. john pileggi - Dec 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM

As a die hard Met fan, it pains me to say I have no idea what the strategy is. Assuming the stories that the non-Madoff losses are true, then perhaps the revenue reductions from the economy are having an impact. But, it would seem that this is a year where some players may be available at “bargain” rates. Figgins got less than would have been expected, and the pace of signings has been slow. Maybe Minaya and the Wilpons are laying low in the weeds and will eventually make a move on Lackey and Holliday. Maybe they have a different plan. Maybe Santa Claus will drop an unexpected signing under the tree.

2. Old Gator - Dec 6, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Before the economy forced my employer, Consolidated Coprolite (a wholly owned subsidiary of Amplexus Corporation), to give up our box seats in the last row of the upper deck at Joeprodolshark Stadium, I used to enjoy watching Josh Willingham through my telescope in left field as he favored his disintegrating lumbar vertebrae. I think that by now he must have more rods in his spine than Evel Knievel, whose funeral was delayed four times when his casket set of airport metal detectors and had to be opened for inspection. Each new cutting-edge technology teflon disc replacement is good for about 20-25 home runs, but when he reaches that threshold he usually has to put his season on hold and go in for an overhaul. After all those seasons of Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado wearing out their warranties, do the Mutts really need that kind of thing? That, and there’s no way to find out if he was flood damaged during Hurricane Wilma down here. They weren’t keeping records back then,

3. Greg - Dec 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Hey, I discovered this website by on a fluke when I was looking on Google then I popped in to your web site. I must say your site is very interesting I really like your theme! don’t possess a lot of time at the moment to read through your sitebut I have bookmarked it. I will come back in a day or two. Thanks for a great site.

4. Danuta Sinka - Jan 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

It can dropped your offline commercializing tolls too if you get it terminated the right way. Acquiring somebody who not only does SEO but does the content initiation and distribution for you as well as keyword search, updating content on your site and blog, having professionaly composed press releases at reduced prices as mentioned above is what suits many small occupation owners and yet there are some who effort to do it themselves, they get confounded as they dont have the cognition or the technical skills to do it quickly and they give up. Thank you for this article! I’ve just retrieved a surely perfect web 2.0 source about true marketing Seek it!

5. Kandice Ritchlin - Jan 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM

It can cut down your offline marketing prices too if you get it done decently. Picking Up somebody who not only does SEO but does the content conception and distribution for you as well as keyword search, updating content on your internet site and blog, having professionaly written releases at small costs as observed above is what suits many small job proprietors and yet there are many another who try to do it themselves, they get confounded as they dont have the cognition or the technical sciences to do it quickly and they abandon. Thank you for this article! I’ve just obtained a certainly stunning news portal about seo advertising Try it!

6. Tyra Azzaro - Feb 6, 2010 at 4:41 AM

I would advise exercising subject commercialise, let me explicate. You can get a video recording professionally made for more or less $47.00 97.00 (30-60 seconds) viewing your top-notch desk drawer slide. You can even prove how good it is to destroy your rivals and blast it around over 100 internet video sites for as little as $5.00 per site to be done manualy!You can get keyword inquiry done for you professionally, identifying the keyword words that will get you a nice amount of search volum, yes with softer competing pages. Thank you for this article! I’ve just retrieved a without doubt perfect blog about how to get rich Adjudicate it!

Three legends off to Cooperstown