Dec 6, 2009, 8:31 AM EST
Yesterday Craig noted a “tweet” from
Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus saying there would be “two huge
announcements” coming at the winter meetings. Well, Richard Sandomir of the
New York Times revealed one of them in the New York Times on Saturday
night. It seems Bloomberg, best known for their financial software,
have decided to embrace sabermetrics.
Bloomberg is actually in business with baseball. It has licensed M.L.B.’s
statistics; pitch location and velocity data; and video to create the
team software and fantasy products for fans that will roll out in
February. For the past year or so, it has been soliciting the opinions
of team executives and players about the team software.
The challenge for Bloomberg is to create software that is better,
faster and more visually useful than what rivals offer to help develop
players and predict their performances. A demonstration of Bloomberg’s
software showed dazzlingly colorful graphics and an easy way to plot
statistics and compare players in complex combinations.
Each team, according to the Times,
will get a six-month free trial of the software. I don’t expect this
announcement will resonate much with your everyday fan, but for those
who have followed Baseball Prospectus and the Hardball Times over the
years, the resources and partnership with MLBAM have to be worrisome.
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 2
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 23
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)