Dec 7, 2009, 4:21 AM EST
A large-market team should be able to pay a top-notch setup man $4 million-$4.5 million. That’s what the Royals gave Kyle Farnsworth, and at last check, Kansas City wasn’t a large market and Farnsworth wasn’t top notch.
The Dodgers, though, seem to be facing greater financial problems by the day, and according the FOXSports.com, they’ve now put George Sherrill up for bids.
Sherrill did stumble in the NLCS against the Phillies, but it was just one bad night in a game in which the Dodgers were already losing. He had a 0.65 ERA in 27 2/3 innings after being acquired from the Orioles for Josh Bell and Steve Johnson, and he came up big twice versus the Cardinals in the NLDS. For the year, he had a 1.70 ERA in 69 innings.
Because he can serve as a setup man for a contender or a closer on a lesser team and he’s under control for two more years, Sherrill will be very attractive in trade talks. Sherrill and a prospect to Detroit for Edwin Jackson would make sense, even if Jackson was a bust in L.A. the first time around. The Rangers, who have weighed moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation, could give up a couple of young arms for him. The Rays would probably be willing to part with Andy Sonnanstine, though that’s unlikely to get a deal done. The Phillies could use him, but they wouldn’t give up J.A. Happ and Kyle Kendrick simply isn’t very attractive.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)