Dec 7, 2009, 4:21 AM EDT
A large-market team should be able to pay a top-notch setup man $4 million-$4.5 million. That’s what the Royals gave Kyle Farnsworth, and at last check, Kansas City wasn’t a large market and Farnsworth wasn’t top notch.
The Dodgers, though, seem to be facing greater financial problems by the day, and according the FOXSports.com, they’ve now put George Sherrill up for bids.
Sherrill did stumble in the NLCS against the Phillies, but it was just one bad night in a game in which the Dodgers were already losing. He had a 0.65 ERA in 27 2/3 innings after being acquired from the Orioles for Josh Bell and Steve Johnson, and he came up big twice versus the Cardinals in the NLDS. For the year, he had a 1.70 ERA in 69 innings.
Because he can serve as a setup man for a contender or a closer on a lesser team and he’s under control for two more years, Sherrill will be very attractive in trade talks. Sherrill and a prospect to Detroit for Edwin Jackson would make sense, even if Jackson was a bust in L.A. the first time around. The Rangers, who have weighed moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation, could give up a couple of young arms for him. The Rays would probably be willing to part with Andy Sonnanstine, though that’s unlikely to get a deal done. The Phillies could use him, but they wouldn’t give up J.A. Happ and Kyle Kendrick simply isn’t very attractive.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)