Dec 7, 2009, 4:21 AM EDT
A large-market team should be able to pay a top-notch setup man $4 million-$4.5 million. That’s what the Royals gave Kyle Farnsworth, and at last check, Kansas City wasn’t a large market and Farnsworth wasn’t top notch.
The Dodgers, though, seem to be facing greater financial problems by the day, and according the FOXSports.com, they’ve now put George Sherrill up for bids.
Sherrill did stumble in the NLCS against the Phillies, but it was just one bad night in a game in which the Dodgers were already losing. He had a 0.65 ERA in 27 2/3 innings after being acquired from the Orioles for Josh Bell and Steve Johnson, and he came up big twice versus the Cardinals in the NLDS. For the year, he had a 1.70 ERA in 69 innings.
Because he can serve as a setup man for a contender or a closer on a lesser team and he’s under control for two more years, Sherrill will be very attractive in trade talks. Sherrill and a prospect to Detroit for Edwin Jackson would make sense, even if Jackson was a bust in L.A. the first time around. The Rangers, who have weighed moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation, could give up a couple of young arms for him. The Rays would probably be willing to part with Andy Sonnanstine, though that’s unlikely to get a deal done. The Phillies could use him, but they wouldn’t give up J.A. Happ and Kyle Kendrick simply isn’t very attractive.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 0
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)