Dec 7, 2009, 4:21 AM EDT
A large-market team should be able to pay a top-notch setup man $4 million-$4.5 million. That’s what the Royals gave Kyle Farnsworth, and at last check, Kansas City wasn’t a large market and Farnsworth wasn’t top notch.
The Dodgers, though, seem to be facing greater financial problems by the day, and according the FOXSports.com, they’ve now put George Sherrill up for bids.
Sherrill did stumble in the NLCS against the Phillies, but it was just one bad night in a game in which the Dodgers were already losing. He had a 0.65 ERA in 27 2/3 innings after being acquired from the Orioles for Josh Bell and Steve Johnson, and he came up big twice versus the Cardinals in the NLDS. For the year, he had a 1.70 ERA in 69 innings.
Because he can serve as a setup man for a contender or a closer on a lesser team and he’s under control for two more years, Sherrill will be very attractive in trade talks. Sherrill and a prospect to Detroit for Edwin Jackson would make sense, even if Jackson was a bust in L.A. the first time around. The Rangers, who have weighed moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation, could give up a couple of young arms for him. The Rays would probably be willing to part with Andy Sonnanstine, though that’s unlikely to get a deal done. The Phillies could use him, but they wouldn’t give up J.A. Happ and Kyle Kendrick simply isn’t very attractive.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)