Dec 7, 2009, 4:21 AM EDT
A large-market team should be able to pay a top-notch setup man $4 million-$4.5 million. That’s what the Royals gave Kyle Farnsworth, and at last check, Kansas City wasn’t a large market and Farnsworth wasn’t top notch.
The Dodgers, though, seem to be facing greater financial problems by the day, and according the FOXSports.com, they’ve now put George Sherrill up for bids.
Sherrill did stumble in the NLCS against the Phillies, but it was just one bad night in a game in which the Dodgers were already losing. He had a 0.65 ERA in 27 2/3 innings after being acquired from the Orioles for Josh Bell and Steve Johnson, and he came up big twice versus the Cardinals in the NLDS. For the year, he had a 1.70 ERA in 69 innings.
Because he can serve as a setup man for a contender or a closer on a lesser team and he’s under control for two more years, Sherrill will be very attractive in trade talks. Sherrill and a prospect to Detroit for Edwin Jackson would make sense, even if Jackson was a bust in L.A. the first time around. The Rangers, who have weighed moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation, could give up a couple of young arms for him. The Rays would probably be willing to part with Andy Sonnanstine, though that’s unlikely to get a deal done. The Phillies could use him, but they wouldn’t give up J.A. Happ and Kyle Kendrick simply isn’t very attractive.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)