Dec 7, 2009, 1:55 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly tweets that Brad Penny is close to making a deal with the St. Louis Cardinals and that the Giants are dropping out of the race. They must have a thing for starters who couldn’t hack it in Boston. Still, I assume they have a limit of one of those guys, which means that Smoltz could be on his way to the Nats, as rumored late last week.
Not sure why the Cards would take their chance on Penny. He’s perpetually out of shape. He has flamed out/quit in pennant races for a couple of years in a row. He’s just a blah of a pitcher.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 30
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)