Dec 7, 2009, 1:55 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly tweets that Brad Penny is close to making a deal with the St. Louis Cardinals and that the Giants are dropping out of the race. They must have a thing for starters who couldn’t hack it in Boston. Still, I assume they have a limit of one of those guys, which means that Smoltz could be on his way to the Nats, as rumored late last week.
Not sure why the Cards would take their chance on Penny. He’s perpetually out of shape. He has flamed out/quit in pennant races for a couple of years in a row. He’s just a blah of a pitcher.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)