Dec 7, 2009, 1:55 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly tweets that Brad Penny is close to making a deal with the St. Louis Cardinals and that the Giants are dropping out of the race. They must have a thing for starters who couldn’t hack it in Boston. Still, I assume they have a limit of one of those guys, which means that Smoltz could be on his way to the Nats, as rumored late last week.
Not sure why the Cards would take their chance on Penny. He’s perpetually out of shape. He has flamed out/quit in pennant races for a couple of years in a row. He’s just a blah of a pitcher.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)