Dec 7, 2009, 1:55 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly tweets that Brad Penny is close to making a deal with the St. Louis Cardinals and that the Giants are dropping out of the race. They must have a thing for starters who couldn’t hack it in Boston. Still, I assume they have a limit of one of those guys, which means that Smoltz could be on his way to the Nats, as rumored late last week.
Not sure why the Cards would take their chance on Penny. He’s perpetually out of shape. He has flamed out/quit in pennant races for a couple of years in a row. He’s just a blah of a pitcher.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)