Dec 7, 2009, 1:55 PM EST
Andrew Baggarly tweets that Brad Penny is close to making a deal with the St. Louis Cardinals and that the Giants are dropping out of the race. They must have a thing for starters who couldn’t hack it in Boston. Still, I assume they have a limit of one of those guys, which means that Smoltz could be on his way to the Nats, as rumored late last week.
Not sure why the Cards would take their chance on Penny. He’s perpetually out of shape. He has flamed out/quit in pennant races for a couple of years in a row. He’s just a blah of a pitcher.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 9
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 70
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)