Dec 7, 2009, 11:51 AM EDT
George King of the New York Post reports that the Yankees are close to trading reliever Brian Bruney to the Braves for prospects.
Atlanta has already rebuilt the bullpen by signing free agents Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito, and is still waiting to hear whether this year’s late-inning duo of Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez will accept arbitration.
Bruney has terrible control and spent a big chunk of this season on the disabled list, but also has a legitimate mid-90s fastball and in four seasons with the Yankees has posted a 3.25 ERA and 133 strikeouts in 144 innings. He’s handed out 91 walks in those 144 frames, including 23 walks in 39 innings last season, but with Wagner handling closing duties and Saito slated to be the primary setup man Bruney wouldn’t be a bad option in the sixth and seventh innings.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)