Dec 7, 2009, 8:01 PM EST
Arbitration decisions don’t have to be made until midnight, but Carl Pavano has reportedly decided to accept the Twins’ offer after failing to find a multi-year deal on the open market.
It was a win-win situation for the Twins, who would have received a draft pick between the first and second rounds if the Type B free agent signed elsewhere and will now get to retain Pavano without having to make a commitment beyond 2010.
Pavano went 14-9 with a 4.62 ERA following a rough April, including 5-4 with a 4.62 ERA in a dozen starts for the Twins, and his secondary numbers–which include a 147/39 K/BB ratio in 199 innings overall–were also encouraging. He’s far from a top-of-the-rotation option and Pavano’s lengthy injury history no doubt scared teams off, but the one-year commitment lessens the Twins’ risk and he should be a solid No. 3 starter for a team that was looking for rotation stability.
Pavano earned about $4.5 million in 2009 via an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Indians and figures to get a raise to at least $6 million in arbitration, although it’s possible that the two sides could work out their own terms before the hearing. Minnesota’s rotation now includes Pavano, Scott Baker, Kevin Slowey, and Nick Blackburn as the front four, with Francisco Liriano, Glen Perkins, Brian Duensing, Jeff Manship, and Anthony Swarzak competing for the final spot if they aren’t traded.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)