Dec 7, 2009, 8:01 PM EDT
Arbitration decisions don’t have to be made until midnight, but Carl Pavano has reportedly decided to accept the Twins’ offer after failing to find a multi-year deal on the open market.
It was a win-win situation for the Twins, who would have received a draft pick between the first and second rounds if the Type B free agent signed elsewhere and will now get to retain Pavano without having to make a commitment beyond 2010.
Pavano went 14-9 with a 4.62 ERA following a rough April, including 5-4 with a 4.62 ERA in a dozen starts for the Twins, and his secondary numbers–which include a 147/39 K/BB ratio in 199 innings overall–were also encouraging. He’s far from a top-of-the-rotation option and Pavano’s lengthy injury history no doubt scared teams off, but the one-year commitment lessens the Twins’ risk and he should be a solid No. 3 starter for a team that was looking for rotation stability.
Pavano earned about $4.5 million in 2009 via an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Indians and figures to get a raise to at least $6 million in arbitration, although it’s possible that the two sides could work out their own terms before the hearing. Minnesota’s rotation now includes Pavano, Scott Baker, Kevin Slowey, and Nick Blackburn as the front four, with Francisco Liriano, Glen Perkins, Brian Duensing, Jeff Manship, and Anthony Swarzak competing for the final spot if they aren’t traded.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)