Dec 7, 2009, 8:01 PM EDT
Arbitration decisions don’t have to be made until midnight, but Carl Pavano has reportedly decided to accept the Twins’ offer after failing to find a multi-year deal on the open market.
It was a win-win situation for the Twins, who would have received a draft pick between the first and second rounds if the Type B free agent signed elsewhere and will now get to retain Pavano without having to make a commitment beyond 2010.
Pavano went 14-9 with a 4.62 ERA following a rough April, including 5-4 with a 4.62 ERA in a dozen starts for the Twins, and his secondary numbers–which include a 147/39 K/BB ratio in 199 innings overall–were also encouraging. He’s far from a top-of-the-rotation option and Pavano’s lengthy injury history no doubt scared teams off, but the one-year commitment lessens the Twins’ risk and he should be a solid No. 3 starter for a team that was looking for rotation stability.
Pavano earned about $4.5 million in 2009 via an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Indians and figures to get a raise to at least $6 million in arbitration, although it’s possible that the two sides could work out their own terms before the hearing. Minnesota’s rotation now includes Pavano, Scott Baker, Kevin Slowey, and Nick Blackburn as the front four, with Francisco Liriano, Glen Perkins, Brian Duensing, Jeff Manship, and Anthony Swarzak competing for the final spot if they aren’t traded.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 22
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 10
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 100
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (101)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)