Classless move by Scott Boras

Dec 7, 2009, 6:11 PM EDT

Whitey Herzog warned the Cardinals against signing Matt Holliday today during his Hall of Fame induction press conference.  He said that teams should be wary of paying one player too much money and suggested that Matt Holliday maybe isn’t the player on whom to blow the wad.  Scott Boras — Holliday’s agent — fired back:

“Congratulations to Whitey on an extraordinary managerial career and
his Hall of Fame selection today. It’s understandable that a man who
was a GM 20 years ago when the revenues were $1 billion – over six
times less than the $6.5 billion revenues of today – questions the
modern-day contract structure. I don’t think modern GMs, particularly  Cashman, with a new ring on his finger, characterize
signings like Mark Teixeira – who akin to Holliday [has] achieved near MVP status (both second in
the MVP voting in their career) and taken [his] team to the World
Series – as ‘suicide.’ In addition, I’m sure if Whitey asks Pujols,
[Chris] Carpenter and other Cardinal players, they would confirm the
value of Holliday’s division winning contribution. Again we
congratulate Whitey on his admittance into the Hall of Fame.”

Of course, this is why people don’t like Boras. What danger do Whitey Herzog’s comments present to Matt Holliday’s market value: none.  How classless is it to criticize a Hall of Fame inductee who has been out of day-to-day baseball for years for (allegedly) not understanding the nuances of the modern financial structure in baseball?  Very.

Pick your battles, Scott. Pick your battles.

1. Wells - Dec 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Eh, I don’t know. Herzog suggested that Boras’s player wasn’t worth the money so Boras sent a shot back at Whitey. All seems fair there, sticking up for your own and whatnot.

2. Aaron W. - Dec 7, 2009 at 7:27 PM

My reaction is similar, but really – this is what Boras does. He goes out and fights for the player against all perceived slights, even when doing so makes him look bad. I don’t like it, but then it’s obvious that he and I live by different codes. He doesn’t surprise me anymore.

3. James K. - Dec 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I don’t have a problem with what Boras said. He didn’t get personal, just looking out for his client. Signing Holliday isn’t “suicide”, whatever that means.

4. Anon - Dec 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I agree with the other commenters. Boras wasn’t out of bounds here. Whitey fired first and, what’s more, Whitey can take it.

5. gfd - Dec 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Scott Borass is BAD FOR BASEBALL.If you can’t afford to go,he’s the reasonwhy,greed greed!

6. Old Gator - Dec 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM

If you want clarification on the form of “suicide” Whitey was referring to (and I hesitate to call him “The White Rat” only because that’s what I feed to my pet monitor lizard), ask any Rangers fan. They brought in a superlative ballplayer in A-Rod but in the process they strangled themselves financially and could never afford to surround him with the support the team needed to get to the gold ring. It’s not a question of Holliday himself being the problem; it’s a question of using up so much of your money on one player that you can’t compete effectively for the best or better ballplayers in other slots you need to fill.
    As far as Boras himself is concerned, anyone who saw the film Naked Lunch will remember the typewriter with the talking asshole on top of it. If Boras would hold that cell phone away from his face so that we could get a better look at it…..

7. kardo - Dec 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM

Boras doesn’t set ticket prices, the owners do. Demand drives prices, income drive wages. Not the other way around.

8. Gangelo - Dec 17, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Old Gator is correct,I don’t think Whitey was slamming Holliday, I think that if they spend too much on him it will hamstring the organization.But that said if you are a Boras client then CHAMPIONSHIPS are not your #1 priority , MONEY IS…..How much is enough?Even if he signs for 1 Million a year that’s more money than I will ever see in my lifetime….So would poor Mr. Holliday’s family starve , or would he have to wonder how to make his next car or house payment? Or would he have to pick between getting the meds he needs & or if there is money for food for his family if he takes a few million less? I’m a Cards fan & yes I would like to see Mr.Holliday w/the birds on the bat but, How Much Is Enough?

9. SHOES INSOLES - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Hello, thank you for this great article, a truly great opening for the new year, keep up the fantastic work, Cheryl.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4032)