Dec 7, 2009, 7:28 PM EST
Dan Uggla’s agent said last month that the 29-year-old had no intention of moving off second base for the Marlins or any other team, but it doesn’t appear that the player himself is quite so inflexible.
Or as Uggla told MLB.com yesterday:
“It’s a tough subject. I feel like I’m a second baseman. I feel like I’ve done a good job there the last few years. I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Which is just about what one would expect a proud ballplayer to say. Uggla’s not a little guy, and he’s certainly not a prototypical second baseman. It’s impressive that he’s functioned as well as he at the position these last few years. However, the simple truth is that none of the teams that have weighed bidding on him want him as a second basemen. He’s going to have to move sooner or later, and it might as well be now.
Uggla to the Giants has been the popular rumor of the day, though San Francisco GM Brian Sabean isn’t going to surrender top prospect Madison Bumgarner for him.
There should be room for a compromise. If not, perhaps the Braves or Red Sox will get involved. Uggla has the bat to be useful in left field, and he should be solid enough defensively once he gains some experience there.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)