Dec 7, 2009, 7:28 PM EDT
Dan Uggla’s agent said last month that the 29-year-old had no intention of moving off second base for the Marlins or any other team, but it doesn’t appear that the player himself is quite so inflexible.
Or as Uggla told MLB.com yesterday:
“It’s a tough subject. I feel like I’m a second baseman. I feel like I’ve done a good job there the last few years. I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Which is just about what one would expect a proud ballplayer to say. Uggla’s not a little guy, and he’s certainly not a prototypical second baseman. It’s impressive that he’s functioned as well as he at the position these last few years. However, the simple truth is that none of the teams that have weighed bidding on him want him as a second basemen. He’s going to have to move sooner or later, and it might as well be now.
Uggla to the Giants has been the popular rumor of the day, though San Francisco GM Brian Sabean isn’t going to surrender top prospect Madison Bumgarner for him.
There should be room for a compromise. If not, perhaps the Braves or Red Sox will get involved. Uggla has the bat to be useful in left field, and he should be solid enough defensively once he gains some experience there.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 0
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 66
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)