Dec 7, 2009, 7:28 PM EDT
Dan Uggla’s agent said last month that the 29-year-old had no intention of moving off second base for the Marlins or any other team, but it doesn’t appear that the player himself is quite so inflexible.
Or as Uggla told MLB.com yesterday:
“It’s a tough subject. I feel like I’m a second baseman. I feel like I’ve done a good job there the last few years. I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Which is just about what one would expect a proud ballplayer to say. Uggla’s not a little guy, and he’s certainly not a prototypical second baseman. It’s impressive that he’s functioned as well as he at the position these last few years. However, the simple truth is that none of the teams that have weighed bidding on him want him as a second basemen. He’s going to have to move sooner or later, and it might as well be now.
Uggla to the Giants has been the popular rumor of the day, though San Francisco GM Brian Sabean isn’t going to surrender top prospect Madison Bumgarner for him.
There should be room for a compromise. If not, perhaps the Braves or Red Sox will get involved. Uggla has the bat to be useful in left field, and he should be solid enough defensively once he gains some experience there.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 36
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 75
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)