Dec 7, 2009, 4:50 PM EDT
After reading this winter meetings update from Chad Jennings of the New York Journal News, we may have figured out what Craig has been up to today in Indianapolis:
In one of the more bizarre moments I’ve seen, someone in the back of the pack asked Francona if the Red Sox would play Marco Scutaro at second and Dustin Pedroia at short. Francona responded with, “Why?” and the guy said because Pedroia might have better range.
That drew a how-do-you-respond-to-that type response, and when someone from MLB asked to see the reporter’s credentials, the guy mumbled and left the room. I honestly believe it was someone who just happened to wander into the room.
Craig assures me that it wasn’t him and we do have photographic evidence of his possessing a media credential, but I’m still skeptical.
I’ve been to a pair of winter meetings and my favorite aspect of the manager press conferences was always when Japanese writers joined the fray to ask about a player and the manager clearly was hearing the name for the first time. Ron Gardenhire once gave a five-minute answer to a female reporter that basically boiled down to, “Lots of Japanese players are good and we like good players.” She wrote the entire thing down.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 11
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 120
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 72
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (122)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)