Jason Bay wants to go to Seattle

Dec 7, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT

Geoff Baker wins the tweet-of-the-night award for this one:

I’m hearing that
Bay has been telling his former Pirates teammates he’d stand on his
head and sing on E. Martinez Way to play for M’s.

Before this past weekend such murmurings sounded like a lifestyle move for the Pacific Northwest-residing Bay. But now that the Mariners have Figgins and look to be even more aggressive in the free agent market, going to Seattle may the best move for a guy looking to be on a winner too.

1. Bill@TDS - Dec 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Does standing on his head and singing involve more or less desire to play there than playing basically for free would? Because that’s what I’d guess he’d have to do in order to land that gig at this point. I have to believe that Z is way too smart to hand him anything remotely close to the 4/$60 he turned down from the Sox.

2. Arendell - Dec 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Seattle is 20 min from were J-Bay’s wife is from and were thay live in the off season. He loves it here! And it makes big points with the inlaws to come here. And home town is just norht of here also.
    So why not if the $$ work out close enought. No need of him to be a Greedy, money only hound. Heck to me Family is first. And living YOUR dream is next. So bye bye RedSox. Hello, 1st and second choise’s in life.

3. Lisaf - Dec 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I don’t like JB with the Red Sox. He’s a good player but not a good fit. If he wants to go to Seattle, I wish him the best.

4. Char-in-Miami - Dec 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM

jason bay contributed big time for boston when manny went hollywood and deserves a thank you and a well done.
    i’d ALMOST want him on the yankees team if damon is released or signed instead as DH – but if he wants the mariners – good luck to him.

5. OPRAHS MOTHER IN LAW - Dec 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM

WHY WOULD HE SIGN WITH A MINOR LEAGUE TEAM IN SEATTLE, WHO CARES.
    SCREW THE IN-LAWS TOO.

6. Tiger's Mistress - Dec 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Arendell,
    Was your second choice in life to learn how to spell? Hope your first choice went better than that.

7. BsRule - Dec 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM

See what I mean Arendell? Please stop posting. You give sports fans a bad name.

8. Bay to the NW - Dec 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM

“WHY WOULD HE SIGN WITH A MINOR LEAGUE TEAM IN SEATTLE, WHO CARES.
    SCREW THE IN-LAWS TOO.” Yeah you’re right, the Mariners are a minor league team, thats why in 09 our record against the Red Sox was 4 – 2, oh who won the World Series, yeah the Yankees, if it wasn’t the M’s, I love that it was the Yankees, because I hate Boston.

9. JOEY STEELE - Dec 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD PICK UP FOR THE M’S.WE NEED A SOLID LEFT FIELDER.I KINDA HOPE WE GET GRANDERSON STILL BUT IF ITS BAY(OR MABE BOTH)I WILL BE HAPPY.WITH FIGGY ADDED ON POSSIBLY BATTING FIRST(WITH BETTER OBP THAN ICHIRO BUT HAPPY EITHER WAY)AND BAY POSSIBLY BATTING 3RD MABY NOT SURE,IT WOULD BE A PRETTY GOOD LINEUP.IF WE ALSO GET GRANDERSON…HMMMM VERY INTERESTING

Three legends off to Cooperstown