Dec 7, 2009, 10:03 PM EDT
At least the Pirates are chasing some upside this time. There must, after all, be a non-zero chance that Bobby Crosby, who turns 30 in January, can reemerge as a legitimate contributor. He finished with OPSs of 744 as a rookie and 802 in 84 games as a sophomore before plummeting to 636, 619, 645 and 652 the last four years.
But that is four years of flat-out terrible results. And it’s not like he’s a quality gloveman. The Pirates tried for one of them first, making Adam Everett an offer before he re-signed with the Tigers on Monday. Crosby started out as an average defense shortstop and certainly hasn’t gotten any better after dealing with so many various injuries over the last five years.
Crosby would likely be a downgrade from incumbent Ronny Cedeno, though since Cedeno is a stopgap himself, there wouldn’t be a lot to lose from making a switch. One of the Pirates’ biggest priorities has to be finding a new long-term option at shortstop. Crosby wouldn’t be a candidate to fill that role even if he did bounce back to post a 750 OPS in 2010. If the idea is to gamble, why not do so with Khalil Greene instead? There’s certainly more offensive and defensive upside there, and the cost would be small enough that the Pirates could still afford to keep Cedeno around as a fallback.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)