Dec 7, 2009, 10:03 PM EST
At least the Pirates are chasing some upside this time. There must, after all, be a non-zero chance that Bobby Crosby, who turns 30 in January, can reemerge as a legitimate contributor. He finished with OPSs of 744 as a rookie and 802 in 84 games as a sophomore before plummeting to 636, 619, 645 and 652 the last four years.
But that is four years of flat-out terrible results. And it’s not like he’s a quality gloveman. The Pirates tried for one of them first, making Adam Everett an offer before he re-signed with the Tigers on Monday. Crosby started out as an average defense shortstop and certainly hasn’t gotten any better after dealing with so many various injuries over the last five years.
Crosby would likely be a downgrade from incumbent Ronny Cedeno, though since Cedeno is a stopgap himself, there wouldn’t be a lot to lose from making a switch. One of the Pirates’ biggest priorities has to be finding a new long-term option at shortstop. Crosby wouldn’t be a candidate to fill that role even if he did bounce back to post a 750 OPS in 2010. If the idea is to gamble, why not do so with Khalil Greene instead? There’s certainly more offensive and defensive upside there, and the cost would be small enough that the Pirates could still afford to keep Cedeno around as a fallback.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)