Dec 7, 2009, 9:15 AM EST
Offering arbitration is a gamble. Offer it to a guy you don’t want to keep in order to gain picks and you might just end up paying that guy anyway:
Free-agent reliever Jose Valverde could accept the Astros’ offer of
salary arbitration by Monday’s midnight ET deadline, according to
The return of Valverde would eliminate the Astros’ need for a closer.
But it also could be a $10 million hit for a team with limited payroll flexibility.
A team in Houston’s position (i.e. still denying that they’re rebuilding but rebuilding all the same) doesn’t need a big money closer. Being forced to pay Valverde eight or even high seven figures would really hamper Houston.
But Valverde is no idiot. He knows how many closers and setup men are out there on the market right now. What is he, the fifth best option for some teams? Sixth? The open market could be a pretty scary place for a guy like him this winter.
We’ll know whether this comes to pass — or whether any other unexpected arb acceptances happen — by midnight tonight. If you we see Ed Wade in the hotel bar with his head hanging low over a tall glass of Old Granddad, we’ll know what happened.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)