Dec 7, 2009, 9:45 PM EST
ESPN’s Jayson Stark says that three-team trade talks that would have sent Pat Burrell to the Mets are dead, but that Milton Bradley still might head to Tampa Bay.
The Rays seem to have far more interest in Bradley than any other team, yet there’s no way that they’d do a deal without moving Burrell first or at the same time.
Bradley’s contract remains the biggest obstacle here. Both he and Burrell will make $9 million next year, but while that’s the last year of Burrell’s deal, Bradley is set to make another $12 million in 2011.
There also is a clear need for a third team in talks. The Cubs have no interest in adding Burrell to their lineup, and it doesn’t appear as though anyone considers him to be a legitimate option in left field.
Bradley to Tampa Bay, Burrell to Seattle and Carlos Silva to Chicago is one deal that would make some sense, but that’s just something I’m making up. Something will be worked out eventually, but it’s become more likely that Bradley will remain a Cub through the end of the week, which might result in GM Jim Hendry missing out on some of his top choices to take over in center field (Curtis Granderson, Mike Cameron).
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 21
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)