Dec 7, 2009, 9:45 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark says that three-team trade talks that would have sent Pat Burrell to the Mets are dead, but that Milton Bradley still might head to Tampa Bay.
The Rays seem to have far more interest in Bradley than any other team, yet there’s no way that they’d do a deal without moving Burrell first or at the same time.
Bradley’s contract remains the biggest obstacle here. Both he and Burrell will make $9 million next year, but while that’s the last year of Burrell’s deal, Bradley is set to make another $12 million in 2011.
There also is a clear need for a third team in talks. The Cubs have no interest in adding Burrell to their lineup, and it doesn’t appear as though anyone considers him to be a legitimate option in left field.
Bradley to Tampa Bay, Burrell to Seattle and Carlos Silva to Chicago is one deal that would make some sense, but that’s just something I’m making up. Something will be worked out eventually, but it’s become more likely that Bradley will remain a Cub through the end of the week, which might result in GM Jim Hendry missing out on some of his top choices to take over in center field (Curtis Granderson, Mike Cameron).
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)