Dec 7, 2009, 9:45 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark says that three-team trade talks that would have sent Pat Burrell to the Mets are dead, but that Milton Bradley still might head to Tampa Bay.
The Rays seem to have far more interest in Bradley than any other team, yet there’s no way that they’d do a deal without moving Burrell first or at the same time.
Bradley’s contract remains the biggest obstacle here. Both he and Burrell will make $9 million next year, but while that’s the last year of Burrell’s deal, Bradley is set to make another $12 million in 2011.
There also is a clear need for a third team in talks. The Cubs have no interest in adding Burrell to their lineup, and it doesn’t appear as though anyone considers him to be a legitimate option in left field.
Bradley to Tampa Bay, Burrell to Seattle and Carlos Silva to Chicago is one deal that would make some sense, but that’s just something I’m making up. Something will be worked out eventually, but it’s become more likely that Bradley will remain a Cub through the end of the week, which might result in GM Jim Hendry missing out on some of his top choices to take over in center field (Curtis Granderson, Mike Cameron).
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 12
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut