Dec 7, 2009, 1:05 PM EDT
This morning George King of the New York Post wrote that the Braves were close to getting Brian Bruney from the Yankees, but now his newspaper-mate Joel Sherman reports that the Nationals have swooped in to acquire the 27-year-old reliever for a player to be named later.
Bruney likely would have been a secondary setup man for the Braves, working the sixth and seventh innings in front of free-agent signings Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito, but he’ll probably be pressed into a more prominent role in a Nationals bullpen that was historically awful this season.
Bruney has overpowering stuff at times thanks to a mid-90s fastball, but his lack of control would make him a poor fit in the eighth or ninth innings. He has a 3.65 ERA and 108/78 K/BB ratio in 123.1 innings over the past three seasons, including a 3.92 ERA and 36/23 K/BB ratio in 39 innings for the Yankees this year. He earned $1.25 million this season and will get a raise via arbitration, so the PTBNL figures to be a mid-level prospect.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)