Dec 7, 2009, 5:52 PM EDT
The News Journal’s Scott Lauber’s believes the Phillies would consider trading Joe Blanton to land the setup man for Brad Lidge they desire.
There’s no reason to believe it’s been discussed, but a Joe Blanton-for-George Sherrill deal would make perfect sense if the Dodgers have any financial flexibility at all. Blanton figures to make $8 million or so in his final year of arbitration. Sherrill is due $4 million-$4.5 million and has two years to go before free agency.
In Sherrill, the Phillies would get the setup man with closing experience they so obviously crave. They’d also free up a spot for Pedro Martinez if they wanted to re-sign the right-hander. As thngs stand now, they’re looking at a rotation of Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Blanton, J.A. Happ and perhaps Jamie Moyer.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 12
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)