Dec 7, 2009, 5:52 PM EDT
The News Journal’s Scott Lauber’s believes the Phillies would consider trading Joe Blanton to land the setup man for Brad Lidge they desire.
There’s no reason to believe it’s been discussed, but a Joe Blanton-for-George Sherrill deal would make perfect sense if the Dodgers have any financial flexibility at all. Blanton figures to make $8 million or so in his final year of arbitration. Sherrill is due $4 million-$4.5 million and has two years to go before free agency.
In Sherrill, the Phillies would get the setup man with closing experience they so obviously crave. They’d also free up a spot for Pedro Martinez if they wanted to re-sign the right-hander. As thngs stand now, they’re looking at a rotation of Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Blanton, J.A. Happ and perhaps Jamie Moyer.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11