Dec 7, 2009, 5:52 PM EDT
The News Journal’s Scott Lauber’s believes the Phillies would consider trading Joe Blanton to land the setup man for Brad Lidge they desire.
There’s no reason to believe it’s been discussed, but a Joe Blanton-for-George Sherrill deal would make perfect sense if the Dodgers have any financial flexibility at all. Blanton figures to make $8 million or so in his final year of arbitration. Sherrill is due $4 million-$4.5 million and has two years to go before free agency.
In Sherrill, the Phillies would get the setup man with closing experience they so obviously crave. They’d also free up a spot for Pedro Martinez if they wanted to re-sign the right-hander. As thngs stand now, they’re looking at a rotation of Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Blanton, J.A. Happ and perhaps Jamie Moyer.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (111)