Dec 7, 2009, 10:51 AM EDT
Tommy Lasorda is standing three feet behind me holding court with a bunch of L.A. writers, talking about how happy he is that Whitey Herzog made the Hall of Fame. He’s telling a story about how Herzog was once arguing with an ump and demanded that he be tossed from the game. The ump wouldn’t do it. So he demanded louder. The ump wouldn’t run him. Finally, Herzog said “if you don’t run me out of this f*cking game right now, I’ll give you a reason to run me!” The ump almost laughed, then ran him.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Lasorda says “I’m 82 damn years old and it’s a crime how good I feel!” And to be honest, he looks pretty good. He’s dropped a good bit of weight since we last saw him wearing a WBC uniform (or whatever it was) a couple of years ago.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 73
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)