Dec 7, 2009, 10:51 AM EDT
Tommy Lasorda is standing three feet behind me holding court with a bunch of L.A. writers, talking about how happy he is that Whitey Herzog made the Hall of Fame. He’s telling a story about how Herzog was once arguing with an ump and demanded that he be tossed from the game. The ump wouldn’t do it. So he demanded louder. The ump wouldn’t run him. Finally, Herzog said “if you don’t run me out of this f*cking game right now, I’ll give you a reason to run me!” The ump almost laughed, then ran him.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Lasorda says “I’m 82 damn years old and it’s a crime how good I feel!” And to be honest, he looks pretty good. He’s dropped a good bit of weight since we last saw him wearing a WBC uniform (or whatever it was) a couple of years ago.
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1