Dec 7, 2009, 10:51 AM EDT
Tommy Lasorda is standing three feet behind me holding court with a bunch of L.A. writers, talking about how happy he is that Whitey Herzog made the Hall of Fame. He’s telling a story about how Herzog was once arguing with an ump and demanded that he be tossed from the game. The ump wouldn’t do it. So he demanded louder. The ump wouldn’t run him. Finally, Herzog said “if you don’t run me out of this f*cking game right now, I’ll give you a reason to run me!” The ump almost laughed, then ran him.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Lasorda says “I’m 82 damn years old and it’s a crime how good I feel!” And to be honest, he looks pretty good. He’s dropped a good bit of weight since we last saw him wearing a WBC uniform (or whatever it was) a couple of years ago.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)