Dec 7, 2009, 10:51 AM EST
Tommy Lasorda is standing three feet behind me holding court with a bunch of L.A. writers, talking about how happy he is that Whitey Herzog made the Hall of Fame. He’s telling a story about how Herzog was once arguing with an ump and demanded that he be tossed from the game. The ump wouldn’t do it. So he demanded louder. The ump wouldn’t run him. Finally, Herzog said “if you don’t run me out of this f*cking game right now, I’ll give you a reason to run me!” The ump almost laughed, then ran him.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Lasorda says “I’m 82 damn years old and it’s a crime how good I feel!” And to be honest, he looks pretty good. He’s dropped a good bit of weight since we last saw him wearing a WBC uniform (or whatever it was) a couple of years ago.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)