Dec 7, 2009, 10:51 AM EDT
Tommy Lasorda is standing three feet behind me holding court with a bunch of L.A. writers, talking about how happy he is that Whitey Herzog made the Hall of Fame. He’s telling a story about how Herzog was once arguing with an ump and demanded that he be tossed from the game. The ump wouldn’t do it. So he demanded louder. The ump wouldn’t run him. Finally, Herzog said “if you don’t run me out of this f*cking game right now, I’ll give you a reason to run me!” The ump almost laughed, then ran him.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Lasorda says “I’m 82 damn years old and it’s a crime how good I feel!” And to be honest, he looks pretty good. He’s dropped a good bit of weight since we last saw him wearing a WBC uniform (or whatever it was) a couple of years ago.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 100
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)