Dec 7, 2009, 2:28 PM EDT
The first manager sitdown just happened — Bobby Cox on one side of the room, Jim Riggleman on the other. You won’t be surprised to hear that I went with Cox, figuring that a chance to ask questions to the guy who has shaped and lead my favorite team since I was a teenager wasn’t one to pass up. I wasn’t alone, however, as Cox easily had three times the number of reporters around him than Riggleman did. Random Bobby Cox stuff:
- The Braves have thought about moving Chipper Jones to first base here and there, but they’ve had no discussions with him about it this winter and probably won’t. Cox admits that Jones had a bad year defensively last year, but that he should have won the Gold Glove two years ago. I guess Terry Pendleton was once a gold glover too, so at some point I suppose you have to cut off that kind of analysis.
- Is Martin Prado your starting second baseman, Bobby? “He’s gonna start somewhere.” Cox suggested that he could be an outfielder. Or a first baseman. I’d be shocked to see him start anywhere other than second, but I suppose the Braves still have holes and/or the need for leverage in negotiations with guys like Adam LaRoche.
- What about the possibility of Rafael Soriano or Mike Gonzalez accepting arbitration? “If they both accept we’ll have the best bullpen ever.” Despite this, Bobby has no idea. He does know that no matter who’s in the bullpen next year, Billy Wagner is the closer. “He’s the closer no matter what,” Cox says.
- Cox, in his last season as manager, wants no part of naming his successor. He thinks any number of guys on his staff would be good, but that’s Frank Wren’s decision, says Bobby.
- He was cagey about whether Jason Heyward would start the season on the big club. After acknowledging that he’s probably the best prospect in baseball and has a great makeup, he would only say that “we’re going to give him a chance to win a job next year.” I suppose you can’t just come out and admit that you’re going to keep a dude on the farm until you’re sure he’s not going to be a Super Two.
Lou Piniella is sitting down now. I’m going to go ask him why he’s been so unfair to Milton Bradley.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)