Dec 7, 2009, 2:57 PM EDT
More reporters surrounded Lou Piniella than did Bobby Cox. His competition — Dave Trembley — was basically talking to the wall. Sad, really.
- Lou didn’t have much interesting to say, really. He said Carlos Zambrano has been in Chicago all winter and has lost 15 pounds so far. He thinks Zambrano should win 20 games every year. Not to put any pressure on him or anything.
- When asked about how long he was going to manage he said he’d sign a fifteen year extension right now. When asked, in all seriousness Lou, how long, he said “I just said I’d sign a fifteen year extension.” You get the sense that Piniella is rather amused by this whole event and kind of views it like performance art or something.
- He thinks having the new ownership in place will be a great thing, and that the Ricketts can provide the sort of “tender loving care” that corporate ownership can’t provide.
I feel the same way. I can’t wait for Mr. and Mrs. Comcast to take over. I hope they invite me to dinner one night.
Ozzie Guillen is up next. There are stenographers next to each manager for these interviews. I feel sorry for the woman who has to keep up with Guillen.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 43
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 40
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)