Random stuff from Ozzie Guillen

Dec 7, 2009, 4:25 PM EST

Ozzie Guillen had his presser at the time time Terry Francona was talking. Why anyone would listen to Terry Francona when Ozzie Guillen is talking I have no idea.  The highlights:

• Before he sits down he goes to the stenographer and asks “you gonna record me? You better get those fingers moving fast.”

• As he sits, he switches off his cell phone: “I gotta put this on vibrate. Make sure Obama doesn’t call me when I’m talkin’ to you guys.”

• Ozzie, you going to be busy during the meetings? “Ask Kenny. I’m not doin’ nothin. Kenny’s doin’ all the work.”

• Asked about Omar Vizquel’s role on the team: “He’s not going to be a coach. All you guys say he’ll be a coach or something. I got coaches. He’s gonna play third base, shortstop, second base. Joey Cora hits the fungoes.”

• Asked about Bobby Jenks: “When you got have a body like Bobby — I’m not going to use that word, fat, — but when you’re a big guy, people are going to say things when you play bad and won’t say nothin’ when you play good. That’s just how it goes.”

• Asked if he’s talked to Jenks much this offseason: “I don’t talk to players in the winter. I don’t talk to nobody. I get enough of players all summer.”

• Guillen was asked about his starting outfield, and he started naming guys . . .Quentin in right . . . Andruw Jones will play . . . and then he paused. “Ah, I don’t know all our players. Ask Joey Cora. He knows all of our players.”

• There’s this one Japanese reporter who is going to every manager and asking first, what did you think of Hideki Matsui’s postseason, and then follows up by asking if they’d consider adding Matsui this winter. Guillen: “Talk to Kenny. I don’t tell Kenny who to sign or who to release. Wait, that’s not true. I asked him to release a couple of guys.”

• Ozzie goals for the Winter Meetings: “I don’t have any goals. I come to hang out in the lobby. Talk to you guys. Stay away from my wife.”

• What’s your thoughts on replay, Ozzie?  “I like to see the umps do their jobs and I don’t like delays.  But if there is replay it will save me money because every time I argue it costs me $500 or $1000.”

As he leaves he says that he’s going to succeed Bud Selig as Commissioner in 2012.  “And they’ll be no more Winter Meetings. And no more spring training.”

1. Will - Dec 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I’m intrigued by Ozzie’s ideas, and would like to subscribe to his newsletter. Man, can you imagine the fun he’d be as commissioner? We’d be one step closer to blernsball!

2. MikeS - Dec 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM

You could create a whole blog called “Random stuff from Ozzie Guillen.” And I’d read it daily.

3. oprahs mother in law - Dec 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Every baseball team should have a Ozzie, just to talk
    to reporters, I wish he was in New York.

4. oprahs mother in law - Dec 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Every baseball team should have a Ozzie, just to talk
    to reporters, I wish he was in New York.

5. Jamie - Dec 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Was “stay away from my wife” something he plans on doing, or a warning to others? I could see it coming either way from Ozzie.

6. Ahmet Hamdi - Dec 7, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Blernsball Commissioner Ozzie Guillen … has a good ring.
    I could easily imagine his press conferences getting better ratings than half of the games!

7. JBerardi - Dec 7, 2009 at 11:14 PM

“Ozzie Guillen had his presser at the time time Terry Francona was talking. Why anyone would listen to Terry Francona when Ozzie Guillen is talking I have no idea.”

Point taken, Craig, but to his credit, Francona did produce this gem:

“I’m sure when we head down to Fort Myers we’ll have a left fielder. We always do. They’re really good about that. We’re amazingly consistent in that every year we always have a left fielder and I’m guessing we’re going to have one this year, too.”

8. EJones - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:48 PM

“We’re amazingly consistent in that every year we always have a left fielder and I’m guessing we’re going to have one this year, too”
    A gem? Ok.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4996)