Dec 7, 2009, 9:18 PM EDT
The Arizona Republic’s Nick Piecoro believes there’s something to rumors that the Diamondbacks could part with Max Scherzer in a trade for Edwin Jackson.
The deal simply wouldn’t work as a one-for-one. Scherzer is just as talented as Jackson, if not more so, and he still has give years to go until free agency, whereas Jackson has just two. Of course, salaries play a role there as well. Scherzer will make the minimum for two more years, and Jackson is due at least $5 million next year and $8 million-$10 million in 2011 if he has another strong season.
So how might a deal work? A third team would probably have to be involved. Scherzer would have to be attractive to the Tigers, perhaps attractive enough to get them to part with Curtis Granderson as well. Maybe if the Cubs sent Angel Guzman to Detroit and Sean Marshall and a prospect or two to Arizona? The Angels want Granderson as well and would be another team that could get involved.
Expect to hear more about this one in the coming hours. There have been too many Jackson-to-Arizona whispers to ignore.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)