Dec 7, 2009, 2:19 PM EST
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Tigers “are close to trading” Edwin Jackson to an unnamed team and “still hope to trade” Curtis Granderson at some point this week. Previous reports had the Tigers turning down the Mariners’ offer for Jackson that included Brandon Morrow and Shawn Kelley, and rumors have been swirling around Granderson for weeks now.
Interestingly, manager Jim Leyland was asked whether Detroit is having a firesale because of sudden payroll restrictions and replied:
You can stop right there. All they are is rumors. We’ve assured everyone of this: Anyone who thinks the Detroit Tigers are having a fire sale is foolish. Because we’re not. I can assure you of that and I’ll leave it at that. Anything else you have you should direct to the general manager.
Trading away the 26-year-old Jackson and 28-year-old Granderson just months after losing a one-game playoff for the division title would basically be the definition of a firesale. Either the reports are wrong or Leyland may be the one looking foolish.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)