Dec 7, 2009, 2:19 PM EST
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Tigers “are close to trading” Edwin Jackson to an unnamed team and “still hope to trade” Curtis Granderson at some point this week. Previous reports had the Tigers turning down the Mariners’ offer for Jackson that included Brandon Morrow and Shawn Kelley, and rumors have been swirling around Granderson for weeks now.
Interestingly, manager Jim Leyland was asked whether Detroit is having a firesale because of sudden payroll restrictions and replied:
You can stop right there. All they are is rumors. We’ve assured everyone of this: Anyone who thinks the Detroit Tigers are having a fire sale is foolish. Because we’re not. I can assure you of that and I’ll leave it at that. Anything else you have you should direct to the general manager.
Trading away the 26-year-old Jackson and 28-year-old Granderson just months after losing a one-game playoff for the division title would basically be the definition of a firesale. Either the reports are wrong or Leyland may be the one looking foolish.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)