Dec 7, 2009, 7:05 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies are waiting to hear back after offering multiyear deals to closer Huston Street, infielder Clint Barmes and catcher Chris Iannetta.
Street, who is just one year away from free agency, received a three-year offer. He made $4.5 million last season and is likely due to a bump to $7 million-$8 million next year after performing as one of the NL’s best closers in his first full year in Colorado. The Rockies would presumably need to offer at least $24 million over three years to get a deal done.
We’ve already gone over the Barmes situation. The Rockies’ proposal to him is likely for two guaranteed years with an option for 2012, his first year of free agency.
The offer to Iannetta is something of a surprise, given that he lost his job to Yorvit Torrealba during the second half of the season. Iannetta is still three years away from free agency, and considering that he was just a part-timer last season, he’d likely be giving up considerable earnings potential in return for some security now. It’d be in his best interests to do a one-year deal with an eye towards getting something longer done next winter.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)