The Cardinals wait for Boras

Dec 7, 2009, 10:35 AM EST

As Matt noted last night, almost everything the Cardinals do depends on Matt Holliday.  If they can keep him, they’re willing to let Mark DeRosa go without a fight and allow young David Freese take over at third. And it goes beyond just third base, with owner Bill DeWitt saying “If we don’t spend on Holliday, we will spend on other players.”

In light of that, the Cardinals are pushing hard to meet with Scott Boras this week in order to get some sense as to whether they have a legitimate shot at re-signing their left fielder, says Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch.  Boras, however, has told the Cardinals to hold off on making any offers until at least this week. Ideally, he’s have them wait even longer — say, until the Yankees and anyone else is ready to make an offer — so he can play one off the other.  That’s just how he rolls.

Upshot: I can’t feature Boras giving the Cardinals any more certainty than they have now.  They should just move on, spend their money on people willing to deal and see if Boras comes calling later.  Life is too short, ya know?

1. FireJoeMorgan - Dec 7, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Are you using “feature” and “imagine” interchangeably? You should not.
    “I can’t [imagine] Boras giving the Cardinals”

2. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 7, 2009 at 10:56 AM

FJM — it’s perfectly legitimate mid-century detective fiction speak. If it’s good enough for Ross MacDonald and Raymond Chandler, it’s good enough for me.

3. Levi Stahl - Dec 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I don’t know, FireJoeMorgan: “feature” is a common colloquial replacement for “imagine,” at least in the lower Midwest where I grew up. My mom uses it all the time (though my wife, who grew up in California, had never heard it before visiting Southern Illinois).
    As for the Cardinals, they’re in a tough spot. You’re right, Craig, but I don’t see how they go ahead and move without that first domino having fallen. Given their budget and needs, it seems more like their choices are wait for Holliday’s decision or give up on Holliday–not move ahead with some other moves while waiting.

4. FireJoeMorgan - Dec 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Merriam-Webster says you guys are correct. My apologies. Good luck covering the chaos…

5. Old Gator - Dec 7, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Everyone is waiting for Boras. Beckett couldn’t have written him any more preposterously. He’s Y2K and 2012 and the Rapture all in one overpriced suit.

6. RichardInDallas - Dec 7, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I wonder what would happen if every GM in the game would agree to make Boras wait until THEY were ready to deal with HIM? I just wish he would go away. He’s bad news for any team he deals with and bad news for the game…

7. Richie - Dec 7, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Are cameras not allowed, or did you forget yours?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5015)