Dec 7, 2009, 10:04 AM EDT
The Veterans Committee — it’s two committees actually: managers and umpires committee and the “pioneer” comittee — just announced the new Hall of Fame inductees: umpire Doug Harvey made it, as did Cardinals and Royals manager Whitey Herzog.
No pioneers were elected. That means no Marvin Miller. He got seven out of twelve votes, which is just shy of the threshhold. Totally bogus. There was an audible groan in the press room when it was announced that no pioneers were going in. Not sure that the groan was for Miller’s absence, but I can’t feature that this room has a lot of love for John Fetzer.
But Whitey’s election is good news. The White Rat is deserving.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 10
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (69)