Dec 7, 2009, 10:04 AM EST
The Veterans Committee — it’s two committees actually: managers and umpires committee and the “pioneer” comittee — just announced the new Hall of Fame inductees: umpire Doug Harvey made it, as did Cardinals and Royals manager Whitey Herzog.
No pioneers were elected. That means no Marvin Miller. He got seven out of twelve votes, which is just shy of the threshhold. Totally bogus. There was an audible groan in the press room when it was announced that no pioneers were going in. Not sure that the groan was for Miller’s absence, but I can’t feature that this room has a lot of love for John Fetzer.
But Whitey’s election is good news. The White Rat is deserving.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 15
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 15
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)