Dec 7, 2009, 10:04 AM EST
The Veterans Committee — it’s two committees actually: managers and umpires committee and the “pioneer” comittee — just announced the new Hall of Fame inductees: umpire Doug Harvey made it, as did Cardinals and Royals manager Whitey Herzog.
No pioneers were elected. That means no Marvin Miller. He got seven out of twelve votes, which is just shy of the threshhold. Totally bogus. There was an audible groan in the press room when it was announced that no pioneers were going in. Not sure that the groan was for Miller’s absence, but I can’t feature that this room has a lot of love for John Fetzer.
But Whitey’s election is good news. The White Rat is deserving.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (220)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)