Dec 7, 2009, 10:04 AM EDT
The Veterans Committee — it’s two committees actually: managers and umpires committee and the “pioneer” comittee — just announced the new Hall of Fame inductees: umpire Doug Harvey made it, as did Cardinals and Royals manager Whitey Herzog.
No pioneers were elected. That means no Marvin Miller. He got seven out of twelve votes, which is just shy of the threshhold. Totally bogus. There was an audible groan in the press room when it was announced that no pioneers were going in. Not sure that the groan was for Miller’s absence, but I can’t feature that this room has a lot of love for John Fetzer.
But Whitey’s election is good news. The White Rat is deserving.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)