Dec 7, 2009, 10:04 AM EDT
The Veterans Committee — it’s two committees actually: managers and umpires committee and the “pioneer” comittee — just announced the new Hall of Fame inductees: umpire Doug Harvey made it, as did Cardinals and Royals manager Whitey Herzog.
No pioneers were elected. That means no Marvin Miller. He got seven out of twelve votes, which is just shy of the threshhold. Totally bogus. There was an audible groan in the press room when it was announced that no pioneers were going in. Not sure that the groan was for Miller’s absence, but I can’t feature that this room has a lot of love for John Fetzer.
But Whitey’s election is good news. The White Rat is deserving.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 97
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39