Dec 7, 2009, 5:35 PM EDT
ESPN’s Keith Law has a great piece up today on why the Winter Meetings are being held in a city that doesn’t even have a Major League team. The short answer: the tail wags the dog. Minor League Baseball sets up all of this stuff to accommodate its trade show and job fair and Major League Baseball just tags along. This leads to trouble when you get to cities with limited hotel room and meeting space and cold weather.
The fact that baseball struggles with this is curious. I mean, yeah, this requires a lot of room and stuff, but it can’t compare to, say, political conventions in terms of media coverage, can it? There can’t possibly be a need for as many hotel rooms either. Any number of cities that aren’t Las Vegas should be able to handle this. A convention center + lots of hotel rooms is really all you need, right?
I’ll be honest and say that there have only been two issues in Indianapolis so far: (a) the wi-fi sucks in the media room; and (b) it’s cold. The former definitely needs addressing — thank God I hadn’t yet canceled the Verizon air card I used while clandestinely blogging at work, because it’s been a godsend. The latter: only the California guys are still complaining about the cold. The rest of us have manned up.
But regardless of whether Indianapolis is truly unworkable, I think Keith’s prescription is a good one: decouple the Major League meetings from the Minor League meetings and rotate them among a few cities that have a track record of being able to handle the meetings with aplomb. Indianapolis seems to be working so far, but why gamble every year?
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)