Dec 7, 2009, 5:35 PM EDT
ESPN’s Keith Law has a great piece up today on why the Winter Meetings are being held in a city that doesn’t even have a Major League team. The short answer: the tail wags the dog. Minor League Baseball sets up all of this stuff to accommodate its trade show and job fair and Major League Baseball just tags along. This leads to trouble when you get to cities with limited hotel room and meeting space and cold weather.
The fact that baseball struggles with this is curious. I mean, yeah, this requires a lot of room and stuff, but it can’t compare to, say, political conventions in terms of media coverage, can it? There can’t possibly be a need for as many hotel rooms either. Any number of cities that aren’t Las Vegas should be able to handle this. A convention center + lots of hotel rooms is really all you need, right?
I’ll be honest and say that there have only been two issues in Indianapolis so far: (a) the wi-fi sucks in the media room; and (b) it’s cold. The former definitely needs addressing — thank God I hadn’t yet canceled the Verizon air card I used while clandestinely blogging at work, because it’s been a godsend. The latter: only the California guys are still complaining about the cold. The rest of us have manned up.
But regardless of whether Indianapolis is truly unworkable, I think Keith’s prescription is a good one: decouple the Major League meetings from the Minor League meetings and rotate them among a few cities that have a track record of being able to handle the meetings with aplomb. Indianapolis seems to be working so far, but why gamble every year?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 3
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)