Dec 8, 2009, 3:05 PM EDT
This afternoon the Baseball Writers Association of America got together to vote on various issues and the meeting produced a couple interesting pieces of news.
First and foremost they voted to expand the Cy Young ballot from three spots to five spots, which is no doubt in response to the uproar caused by two writers leaving Chris Carpenter off their ballots last month. My suggestion is that the change should forever be known as the Keith Law Law.
And after adding several internet-based writers last year for the first time, the BBWAA will now open its doors for Sean Forman. You may not recognize that name, but Forman is the man behind the most indespensible, invaluable baseball website in the world (besides this one, of course): Baseball-Reference.com. He’s done a tremendous amount of work to advance both the history of baseball and the availability of statistics, and also happens to be one hell of a nice guy.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)