Dec 8, 2009, 3:31 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dejan Kovacevic reports that the Pirates and Blue Jays are discussing a Ryan Doumit deal, with Jeremy Accardo possibly going the other way.
The Mariners and Giants also reportedly have some interest in Doumit. Because of Buster Posey’s presence, the Giants are known to prefer a catcher on a one-year deal, but they could potentially use Doumit at first base in 2011 if they acquire him.
Toronto also has a possible catcher of the future in J.P. Arencibia, but he was lousy in Triple-A last season, hitting just .236/.284/.444 in the offensive paradise that is Las Vegas. He’s also rough defensively. That should make them more willing to take on a multiyear option, though Doumit still might be a little more expensive than they’d like. He’s due $3.55 million next year and $5.1 million in 2011. There are also club options on his deal for the following two years at $7.25 million and $8.25 million.
At the same time Doumit may be leaving, it appears as though the Pirates are bringing in some competition for Ronny Cedeno at shortstop. The Denver Post’s Troy Renck says they’re on the verge of signing Bobby Crosby to a one-year deal.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)