Dec 8, 2009, 3:31 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dejan Kovacevic reports that the Pirates and Blue Jays are discussing a Ryan Doumit deal, with Jeremy Accardo possibly going the other way.
The Mariners and Giants also reportedly have some interest in Doumit. Because of Buster Posey’s presence, the Giants are known to prefer a catcher on a one-year deal, but they could potentially use Doumit at first base in 2011 if they acquire him.
Toronto also has a possible catcher of the future in J.P. Arencibia, but he was lousy in Triple-A last season, hitting just .236/.284/.444 in the offensive paradise that is Las Vegas. He’s also rough defensively. That should make them more willing to take on a multiyear option, though Doumit still might be a little more expensive than they’d like. He’s due $3.55 million next year and $5.1 million in 2011. There are also club options on his deal for the following two years at $7.25 million and $8.25 million.
At the same time Doumit may be leaving, it appears as though the Pirates are bringing in some competition for Ronny Cedeno at shortstop. The Denver Post’s Troy Renck says they’re on the verge of signing Bobby Crosby to a one-year deal.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights