Dec 8, 2009, 3:31 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dejan Kovacevic reports that the Pirates and Blue Jays are discussing a Ryan Doumit deal, with Jeremy Accardo possibly going the other way.
The Mariners and Giants also reportedly have some interest in Doumit. Because of Buster Posey’s presence, the Giants are known to prefer a catcher on a one-year deal, but they could potentially use Doumit at first base in 2011 if they acquire him.
Toronto also has a possible catcher of the future in J.P. Arencibia, but he was lousy in Triple-A last season, hitting just .236/.284/.444 in the offensive paradise that is Las Vegas. He’s also rough defensively. That should make them more willing to take on a multiyear option, though Doumit still might be a little more expensive than they’d like. He’s due $3.55 million next year and $5.1 million in 2011. There are also club options on his deal for the following two years at $7.25 million and $8.25 million.
At the same time Doumit may be leaving, it appears as though the Pirates are bringing in some competition for Ronny Cedeno at shortstop. The Denver Post’s Troy Renck says they’re on the verge of signing Bobby Crosby to a one-year deal.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 86
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 149
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)