Dec 8, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
One of the reasons a guy like Rafael Soriano accepted arbitration is that there are just loads of relievers floating around this winter. Maybe not many as good as he is, but certainly some far cheaper and worth a flier.
For example, there’s J.J. Putz, who could be a great bargain/reclamation pickup for someone. Those someones who might be interested: the Cubs, White Sox, Diamondbacks, Rangers, Nationals and Tigers.
Would I turn over the ninth inning to the guy if I were running a team? Nah. But Putz could be an extremely useful part of a bullpen for any team that doesn’t want to spend a lot on a bullpen. Which is any team except the Braves, it seems.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)