Dec 8, 2009, 8:20 AM EST
One of the reasons a guy like Rafael Soriano accepted arbitration is that there are just loads of relievers floating around this winter. Maybe not many as good as he is, but certainly some far cheaper and worth a flier.
For example, there’s J.J. Putz, who could be a great bargain/reclamation pickup for someone. Those someones who might be interested: the Cubs, White Sox, Diamondbacks, Rangers, Nationals and Tigers.
Would I turn over the ninth inning to the guy if I were running a team? Nah. But Putz could be an extremely useful part of a bullpen for any team that doesn’t want to spend a lot on a bullpen. Which is any team except the Braves, it seems.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)