Dec 8, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
One of the reasons a guy like Rafael Soriano accepted arbitration is that there are just loads of relievers floating around this winter. Maybe not many as good as he is, but certainly some far cheaper and worth a flier.
For example, there’s J.J. Putz, who could be a great bargain/reclamation pickup for someone. Those someones who might be interested: the Cubs, White Sox, Diamondbacks, Rangers, Nationals and Tigers.
Would I turn over the ninth inning to the guy if I were running a team? Nah. But Putz could be an extremely useful part of a bullpen for any team that doesn’t want to spend a lot on a bullpen. Which is any team except the Braves, it seems.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)