Dec 8, 2009, 12:58 PM EST
Manny Delcarmen had a 2.41 ERA in the first half and a 7.27 ERA in the second half, and today agent Jim Masteralexis explained that the reliever kept an arm injury secret while struggling:
He told me his arm just didn’t feel right. He thought he could pitch through it and bounce back, but it never got better. He kept it close to the vest. He wanted to keep fighting through it.
As usual, despite all the macho talk about playing through pain the end result is usually a bad performance, and manager Terry Francona noted that he’d have preferred if Delcarmen let the Red Sox know about the injury so they could shut him down for a while before the playoffs.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)