Dec 8, 2009, 12:58 PM EDT
Manny Delcarmen had a 2.41 ERA in the first half and a 7.27 ERA in the second half, and today agent Jim Masteralexis explained that the reliever kept an arm injury secret while struggling:
He told me his arm just didn’t feel right. He thought he could pitch through it and bounce back, but it never got better. He kept it close to the vest. He wanted to keep fighting through it.
As usual, despite all the macho talk about playing through pain the end result is usually a bad performance, and manager Terry Francona noted that he’d have preferred if Delcarmen let the Red Sox know about the injury so they could shut him down for a while before the playoffs.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8