Dec 8, 2009, 12:58 PM EST
Manny Delcarmen had a 2.41 ERA in the first half and a 7.27 ERA in the second half, and today agent Jim Masteralexis explained that the reliever kept an arm injury secret while struggling:
He told me his arm just didn’t feel right. He thought he could pitch through it and bounce back, but it never got better. He kept it close to the vest. He wanted to keep fighting through it.
As usual, despite all the macho talk about playing through pain the end result is usually a bad performance, and manager Terry Francona noted that he’d have preferred if Delcarmen let the Red Sox know about the injury so they could shut him down for a while before the playoffs.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)