Dec 8, 2009, 12:58 PM EDT
Manny Delcarmen had a 2.41 ERA in the first half and a 7.27 ERA in the second half, and today agent Jim Masteralexis explained that the reliever kept an arm injury secret while struggling:
He told me his arm just didn’t feel right. He thought he could pitch through it and bounce back, but it never got better. He kept it close to the vest. He wanted to keep fighting through it.
As usual, despite all the macho talk about playing through pain the end result is usually a bad performance, and manager Terry Francona noted that he’d have preferred if Delcarmen let the Red Sox know about the injury so they could shut him down for a while before the playoffs.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69