Skip to content

"Looks like the three-way trade is going to happen"

Dec 8, 2009, 1:27 PM EDT

So says the Inside The D-Backs blog at MLB.com.  “D-backs would give up Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth and receive pitchers Ian Kennedy and Edwin Jackson.”

He’s the only one I’ve seen saying that so far, though there is growing optimism in all quarters. Jon Morosi is saying that it’s “closer” and that they’re “making progress.” Heyman is saying it’s 50-50.  Buster is saying it’s only 20-30%, but that there’s “growing confidence on at least two of the sides involved.”  Whether I offer to split bar bills with Heyman or Buster later tonight depends on who was right with the percentages.

We’ll let you know if and when it becomes official. Or at least as official as anything around here gets before people start reporting it as gospel. 

  1. ecp - Dec 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM

    Am I the only person who thinks the D-Backs have lost their marbles if they do this?

  2. Mike C - Dec 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM

    Last reports include Yankees including Jackson & Coke to the Tigers.
    As a Yankee fan, I like when teams loses their marbles on trades. So the Yankees would trade their number 7 starter, fungible bullpen parts and 2nd best prospect who has never hit for power for a 29 yr old very good CF who is a lefty HR hitter in a park made for his swing. Make the deal Cashman!

  3. YANKEES1996 - Dec 8, 2009 at 2:00 PM

    ecp, NO, you are not the only one that does not like this trade! I really think the Yankees are making a mistake to give away legitimate prospects to land Granderson. I really just do not see him as that great of an outfielder when there are 2 other guys on the FA market that are better. It appears that Arizona would not do all that badly in this trade however.

  4. Daniel Heaney - Dec 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM

    I would agree. Isn’t Max Scherzer already about at the stage that Edwin Jackson is at? Last year Jackson’s xFIP was 4.39, Scherzer’s was 3.87. Scherzer is a year younger. As a fan of the Minnesota Twins, this is incredibly bothersome to me. The Tigers would have Scherzer until 2014. The Diamondbacks would only have Jackson until 2011. What the hell is going on with the D’Backs front office?
    Not sure what to think of Austin Jackson. Part of me thinks over-hyped prospect because of who he plays for. Daniel Schlereth certainly isn’t ready to fill a big role in the bullpen yet, but some people do look at his as a future closer.

  5. ecp - Dec 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM

    I was really thinking more about the D-Backs, but you’re right: The Yankees are nuts too. I’m not a fan of any of these three teams, but it looks to me like the Tigers make out like bandits.

  6. Paul - Dec 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM

    Please, please stop writing posts that assume readers have read everything on this site. Until the deal went down, I had no idea what this was about. And no, I’m not going to click through to every link just to see what the point of the post is… why not just post links and headlines if that’s the point?
    And what does “who was right with the percentages” mean? As long as neither said zero or 100, weren’t they both right? It drives me nuts when percentage is used in situations like this. You could say “there is a 99% chance this deal doesn’t happen” and still be right either way because of the 1% that it does. Totally meaningless analysis.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
  1. R. Castillo (3228)
  2. C. Kershaw (2353)
  3. G. Stanton (2350)
  4. D. Ortiz (2344)
  5. J. Hamilton (2237)
  1. N. Arenado (2229)
  2. A. Rizzo (2173)
  3. M. Trout (2102)
  4. A. Pujols (1902)
  5. H. Ryu (1833)